The decline of the AMA

motociclista

The roadside assistance alone is worth joining the AMA.

I had a flat tire in the middle of effing nowhere.  Called AMA...they contacted a towing company that sent a flat bed, with motorcycle chocks.  They brought my bike home from about 40 miles away.  Cost me NOTHING :)

We did an overnight ride last year to Buttplug, WV and back.  I suggested that everyone joined the AMA so our trip wasn't cut short by a flat tire or some other DNF.

Edited by Tpoppa

I've used the AMA Roadside assistance twice.  For what those tows would have cost, I figure I've got about 3 more years of membership before I'm "even".  I just got my 4 year renewal package in the mail a couple of weeks ago.

what are the perks of membership? what is the cost?

AMA Member Benefits And Discounts

AMA member benefits

AMA Government Relations

American Motorcyclist Magazine

AMA Extra E-mail Newsletter

Access to the AMA Members Only area

AMA-Sanctioned Racing and Road Riding Events

AMA-Chartered Clubs

Travel and Tours

Black Book

AMA member discounts

ActionStations/Bohn Body Armor

AIMExpo

AMA Member Classifieds powered by SprocketList.com

AMA Roadside Assistance—you’ll never ride alone

Avis and Budget auto rentals

BikeBandit.com 10% Discount

Biker Rain Chaps

Bill's Sport Motor RV Parts & Accessories

ColorRite

EagleRider

GiFOR USA/GOLDfren Motorcycle Brake Products

Heat Demon

International Motorcycle Shows

LifeLock identity theft protection

Lodging

MAD Maps

The Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum

Powertye Tie-Downs

Rider Magazine

RoadRUNNER Motorcycle Touring & Travel magazine 20% Discount

Sam's Club

Schampa products

Supercross and Arenacross tickets

Uncrated motorcycle transport

Put Money In Your Pocket And Help Protect Your Right to Ride And Race!

You’re losing hard-earned cash out of your own pocket if you aren’t a member of the American Motorcyclist Association. The free AMA Roadside Assistance—which covers all your vehicles and those of your family members—is worth many times your $49 membership dues alone.

Plus you get discounts on gear, hotel stays and much more. Also, you get American Motorcyclist magazine, which includes a full listing of rallies, rides and races each month. And, most importantly, you are helping protect your right to ride and race. Help protect motorcycling. Join the AMA.

If you have questions, please call AMA Member Services at (800) AMA-JOIN between 8:30 a.m. and 8 p.m., Eastern, Monday through Thursday and 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., Eastern on Friday.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/

Please note, folks, that I am a member, too. Have been for nearly 22 years. I'm not arguing you shouldn't be a member. I'm just asking whether it's right that 1,125 members should have to pay dues just to cover the CEO's pay bonus at a time when the association is losing money and members. 

Since someone asked, regular dues are now $49/year, as mentioned in the article.

Also discounts admission to the AMA museum in Pataskala.

Lodging

MAD Maps

The Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum

Powertye Tie-Downs

Rider Magazine

I thought for a minute I left it out.  :D

Everyone pop over to FB and give a "Like" to motociclista's book,

"The Ride So Far: Tales from a Motorcycling Life".

http://www.facebook.com/ridesofar

Lance has forgotten more about motorcycling

than I'll ever live long enough to learn.

Edited by JackFlash

I am a memeber and most likely will continue to be, but I have to admit, I haven't liked much that the AMA (or Dingman) has done in the last 5 years.  I mean AMA racing is a joke now.  With more people riding, and more people interested in motor sports, the AMA has actually found ways to drive fans away.

I am a 24 year member.  A couple years ago, I thought about becoming a life member.  I thought it used to be about $350.  I looked it up, and found that it is now $1500, and you have to keep paying $29 a year to get the magazine and roadside assistance.  So, getting the life membership only saves me $20 a year.  That means that it will take me 75 years to break even!

Does the AMA have a term limit on the CEO position?

I think it's also easy to compare the AMA with other associations like the NRA, AOPA, Aeronautical Modeling Association, AARP, etc. and conclude that they're nowhere near as relevant to the typical member as those others are. I mean, sure the benefits are there and membership adds political weight to our interests but where was the big AMA booth at the Cleveland show show us what they've done lately?

Since okeefe01 asked, here's something that I didn't include in my article. Not only are there no limits on how long anyone can be CEO, but the board of directors also pulled another fast one when it changed the rules about who could get on the ballot to run for the board. They instated term limits for members of the board of directors, but they exempted themselves. So there are term limits for anyone else who gets elected, but not themselves.

I have to admit that I'm struggling to find redeeming qualities. I barely open the monthly rag anymore....I have AAA so RA is irrelevant.... And no one shows AMA Daytona racing on TV (the only racing worth watching IMO). I'll still pay because I should, but it's a waste of $$$ right now. Too bad really.

Well, I think the part of the problem might be all the politics involved, the racing on the professional level is boring, it seems like the old dudes are taking up all the spots and there is no chance for anyone under 30 to perform on the US circuit.

I think another problem is, with all the motorcycle forums and part sites out there I NEVER see ads for the AMA, shit I never see adds for the AMA on velocity tv, like seriously. An ad on velocity tv is gonna cost what, like $100 bucks? Lol I kid I kid but... Seriously.

Another problem is riders of kawi, red riders etc. they should all be within the AMA, seriously manufactures, your clubs suck for the most part and my AAA card gets me a better deal on stuff. Just get to together with the AMA and create club programs that offer all the benefits of the AMA with special perks of each manufacture.

I also believe that AMA should do a better job of targeting cruiser riders, most cruiser riders I talk to respond like this when I mention anything about the AMA. "Aren't those the bastards who support stunt riding on public roads"

I guess we could say the same about ABATE, and how they want to put all protective gear manufactures out of business and how the only safety equipment you need is loud pipes. But you know that's true though, so at least we don't have preconceived notions about another organization.

And finally I think part of the issue might be people who use Internet forums and the internet in general to look up information and research, is well a very small percentage of people who ride motorcycles, like less than 2% of all riders frequent forums on a regular basis. Like think about it, at QSL bike nights, how many people there are members here, less than 5%.

So my solution would be,

Get rid of all manufacture riding clubs, have the AMA take them over, yet proportion the fees out to add benefits for the specific manufacture you have a hard on for and when you buy a new bike, you should receive an AMA membership for ZERO cost for the first 2 years.

I am a memeber and most likely will continue to be, but I have to admit, I haven't liked much that the AMA (or Dingman) has done in the last 5 years.  I mean AMA racing is a joke now.  With more people riding, and more people interested in motor sports, the AMA has actually found ways to drive fans away.

I am a 24 year member.  A couple years ago, I thought about becoming a life member.  I thought it used to be about $350.  I looked it up, and found that it is now $1500, and you have to keep paying $29 a year to get the magazine and roadside assistance.  So, getting the life membership only saves me $20 a year.  That means that it will take me 75 years to break even!

Does the AMA have a term limit on the CEO position?

I don't follow dirt or flat track closely, but I was under the impression they were doing okay.

AMA Pro Racing is not run by the AMA.  I would agree that the roadracing series is pissing into the wind...

I'm an AMA and a ROK member. I have the ROK primarily for the roadside assistance, it is more comprehensive for the bike than the AMA. However I can use both and get a pretty good ways down the road if needed. The AMA I use often enough with the hotel discounts. Both memberships have their perks.

As far as the actual association, I'm with the masses, they don't seem to be doing much of anything except raking in revenue.

Sent while riding