Identify this bike

ShawnR

I found this pic of my dad's bike back when he was young and I am just trying to identify what it might be.

dads_bike.jpg

I know that he sold it to buy a ring for mom for when they got hitched. (She was knocked up!)

I know it isn't an Indian because I remember him telling me that he had a friend with an Indian that he could never keep up with.

Norton maybe, but I couldn't find any that looked exactly like it.

Ding, ding, ding!!!!! Winner.

There is one at this link that is very similar. It has the little triangle thing on the side of the engine casing and it is about the same shape.

http://www.cheffins.com/lot/-252583-vintage-0

The triangle thing you speak of was actually a patent identification plate. I bought a new Bonneville in 1971 while in the service. 1329 dollars out the door. Wife and I had lots of good rides on it. One bike I wish I had back.
  • Upvote 1

Late 1940s I would say because of the headlight. Early 1950s was not just a bucket but kind of streamlined affair.

Now that I know what to look for, I can see that. Pre-war bike seem to all have springer style front ends. 1945 on look to have tube shocks.

The only weird things I am finding now are with the handlebars. Most bikes I am seeing (on Google of course) have more of a "drag bar" style where Dad's seem to be turned back.

This one is really close. http://www.classic-auctions.com/Auctions/19-04-2012-TheImperialWarMuseum-1316/1945Triumph5TSpeedTwin-34432.aspx

The bars,bags and windshield are just custom treatments for the times. Sorta Harley/Indian in appearance. Arlen Ness circa 194? maybe. Late 40s for sure. http://www.motobrit.com/motc2/mphp/brotallpage.php?photo=/motc2/mimages/bro/tri/tri48bro.jpg&title=1948%2520Triumph%2520Brochure

The tube forks and the shape of the oil tank lock in the range of years.

It appears there were variations in the headlight and headlight braces. Different years or models.

Does look like a Triumph Speed Twin 500cc. Somewhere between 1945 and 1955?

Edited by ReconRat
  • Upvote 1

Yeah I'd say Triumph Speed Twin for sure. Peashooter exhaust is a dead giveaway.

It's postwar, because no pre-war bikes came in that color scheme, and the early models were also a solid front suspension.

Wikipedia tells me that your dad's is probably a 47-49, because the headlight changed to a weird-looking "nacelle" in 49, and your dad's is a standard headlight instead.

800px-Triumph_Speed_Twin.jpg

• Upvote 1