I WANT an FZ-09

YSR_Racer_99

Saw the commercial while watching DVR-ed Supercross yesterday (Sunday).  

Oh. My.  Gosh.  

I won't be getting one, but if I were in the market to buy a new bike off of the showroom floor, this would easilyyyyy be THE ONE.   $7990?  Seems like a deal to me.   

I liked what I saw at the IMS show... looks like a pretty solid deal for this bike! If I were to get back into street riding this would be on the short list!

You should get one so I can borrow it.

...or we can look for matching supermotos to race/get arrested on.

I have been quoted $8100 out the door and I am heavily considering jumping on it. I watched the full review that is below that a guy did. I thought I would never spend am hour watching it but got pulled into it. He does a pretty good follow up part two.

I'd wait and start saving now...since they have been so popular, I've heard that they will be upgrading the suspension a bit which is one of the chief (but minor) complaints about the bike. Personally, I'd rather find a nice used Gen 2 FZ1.

Everything I've read says these are great bikes for the price, but compared to other bikes, these are cheaply made and it shows... Piss poor suspension and lacks overall fit and finish quality.. It's cool to see a naked bike doing so well in the US market, and I'm sure it's a fun little bike, just feel like 8k can get you a real nice used bike that would blow this thing away in any category

The stock suspension is indeed a compromise

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/2014_yamaha_fz_09_doin_time/

But even with crappy stock suspenders, it's probably the best bang for the buck you can get right now.  In the next couple months there will probably be a bunch of build threads where people add R6 forks and find a takeoff shock that fits.

If Yamaha comes out with a version with better suspension to compete with the Street Triple R for around 9K, I would probably buy one...or the FJ09.

The stock suspension is indeed a compromise

it's not a compromise, it's a flat-out acknowledgement that they're building it to a price point.

Frankly, I applaud this decision, since the stock stuff will be more than adequate for 75% of the riding population.  The other 25% will replace the stock suspension anyway, and would even if it were nicer stuff.

I guess what I'm driving at is that I'd rather they give me "PB & J suspension" rather than charging me $2k more for "hamburger suspension," when I'm going to replace it with "filet mignon suspension" in either case.  It's just cutting down on the initial cost...

it's not a compromise, it's a flat-out acknowledgement that they're building it to a price point.

Frankly, I applaud this decision, since the stock stuff will be more than adequate for 75% of the riding population.  The other 25% will replace the stock suspension anyway, and would even if it were nicer stuff.

I guess what I'm driving at is that I'd rather they give me "PB & J suspension" rather than charging me $2k more for "hamburger suspension," when I'm going to replace it with "filet mignon suspension" in either case.  It's just cutting down on the initial cost...

nail hit on the head. Most people look at you like your insane when you tell them what you've spent on suspension. Until they ride a bike thats properly set up..

I do like this bike, but already owning a Speed Triple, I can't see trading it for an FZ-09.

If I were in the market for this style of motorcycle, and it came down to the choice between the Speed Triple, and the FZ-09, I think the FZ-09 would be my choice (based off of the OTD price alone).