Another shooting at Fort Hood

Casper

Sad part (almost sadder then a jihad) is that it was soldier/soldier... How can we fight the enemy while killing each other. The stupid qualms piss me off... It's pointless. Very sad and very pointless.

Sad part (almost sadder then a jihad) is that it was soldier/soldier... How can we fight the enemy while killing each other. The stupid qualms piss me off... It's pointless. Very sad and very pointless.

The other shooting there was "soldier on soldier"...

The other shooting there was "soldier on soldier"...

In some sense... But it was more a terrorist act. He was in the Army, I'll give you that. What I meant was, this was a soldier with mental issues. It's sad that wasn't identified earlier and the risk, mitigated.

In some sense... But it was more a terrorist act. He was in the Army, I'll give you that. What I meant was, this was a soldier with mental issues. It's sad that wasn't identified earlier and the risk, mitigated.

What does "mitigate" mean? Here is what it will mean..... Soldiers come back from battle having witnessed shit you and I can't imagine. They do the right thing and go talk to somebody who diagnoses them with PTSD (must have a dx to be paid). Then we will mitigate by prohibiting their firearms ownership via mental instability. Slippery slope. Shit happens, people die, other people kill... We can't prevent everything.

Allow carry on base.

Edited by C-bus

What does "mitigate" mean? Here is what it will mean..... Soldiers come back from battle having witnessed shit you and I can't imagine. They do the right thing and go talk to somebody who diagnoses them with PTSD (must have a dx to be paid). Then we will mitigate by prohibiting their firearms ownership via mental instability. Slippery slope. Shit happens, people die, other people kill... We can't prevent everything.

Allow carry on base.

Have you ever been to ft hood? I have. I wouldn't let my 5 year old daughter play outside alone in the projects they call housing. There is a deeper issue here. Some of people that were allowed to join the Army after 911 are not people I would want my children around. Not all, some. I love what the military stands for; that's why I am a government DOD civilian (god knows it's not the pay). However, the lower-standards are the reason I got out of the Army after 7+ years active duty and 3 years reserves.

Now, how to mitigate... That I am not sure. One of the largest issues while I was in (till 2011) is that soldiers with mental issues were looked down upon. More awareness for PTSD and the like are a good place to start.

You want to take a controlled environment where people are put through stresses you cannot imagine and than add the issue of who is armed? Practice how you play... Make them tired, stressed, angry... Then add a gun the NCO doesn't know about all while trying to enforce a standard? Brilliant.

Edited by jdonn
  • Upvote 1

I certainly would not advocate carry during basic training. I think current age restrictions on civilian carry can address that for the most part, but once you are in the day to day operations of a base, why not? Are you less capable than in a deployment situation?

I certainly would not advocate carry during basic training. I think current age restrictions on civilian carry can address that for the most part, but once you are in the day to day operations of a base, why not? Are you less capable than in a deployment situation?

Not less however, you do have a common enemy. Basic training is not the only time you train and are put in a high stress situations where anger/fatigue/stress is used to make you a better soldier. All of those lesions are constantly grown upon. So no, garrison is NO place to have weapons. In my opinion.

So no, garrison is NO place to have weapons. In my opinion.

Assuming one is not living in the barracks...why is it ok for me to carry "on my own time/off base" but not "during work/on base"?  Am I a different person when I leave that gate?

If life is too stressful on base, how can we expect you to perform if you're deployed?

It's not always stressful but it's controlled. They expect you to build a good training environment where you have the ability to practice what you are expected to do (and deal with) in a combat environment... Strict policy's make the person transition into a soldier and this does not happen in 8 weeks.

Look, I am an advocate for liberty. I do not think people should be controlled by rules that take away that liberty. However, when you raise that right hand, you are going above your personal freedom and giving yourself over to the will of the government. That is why Vets are held in such high regard. They gave their freedoms for others to have freedom.

Edited by jdonn
  • Upvote 1