Thinking of swapping cams in the bandit...

Gixxus Christ!

Got the old cams out in 2 beers. The lobes and bearing surfaces are immaculate. This makes me feel good about the entire engine, it's obvious that it has been broken in and maintained properly. Done for the night, should have it back together, valves adjusted and running tomorrow.

Don't know much about bandits because I don't see them often... Are these comparable in power to something like an fz1 or closer to bigger bikes like the xx? Seems like a lot of work to put into a bandit, but if your hp/tq estimates are fairly close, that's a lot more power than I would have expected out of one of these

• Upvote 1

I'm going by dyno sheets I've seen from other tuners. The bikes come with 100 hp and 67 lbs torque stock and there is a ton of potential left in them. Look at the numbers for a 1st gen gsxr1100, basically the same motor only the gsxr has less displacement and more compression and is cammed for top end. I've seen dyno sheets from guys making 150/90 out of these motors with the mods I've done plus high compression pistons and a header.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

After a lot of hard work I think I've nailed it. Gonna try one more size up on the mains to make sure but this seems to run perfectly...and its just silly fast. According to the butt dyno my midrange pulls just as hard as with the old stock cams but above 6.5k it just gets crazy...haven't gone wot up to redline yet but I'm pretty sure it's gonna be awesome. Going to dyno it the 21st at a bike show in Doylestown, will also do a pull on the superhonda if I get it dialed in by then.