OMRL Race 1

Casper

I just bought a grom, how big was the turn out for groms?

Was there very much prep that went into the bike to make race legal?

i was the only Grom racing.

I'm hoping more show to have a Grom only class, but for now ill run F3 with it

safety wire all the bolts that need to be, take headlight off, taillight off, i added a number plate to the front.

I think Russ would race his if others showed up, but he may be waiting to race until he smokes that rear tire and mounts something better.

The rolling burnout Saturday morning was the second time he has let Jeff smoke that tire. Second that I have witnessed anyway. May happen more often.

I will not be racing my grom... the XR is where it is at (plus waaaay cheaper to wreck) my grom (stock) gets pulled hard by stock XR100's and for the cost to hop it up like hoblicks i could just buy another XR (like I really need another)

The grom will continue to be my pit bike and burnout machine (at least until I burn off the Vee rubber)

I will not be racing my grom... the XR is where it is at (plus waaaay cheaper to wreck) my grom (stock) gets pulled hard by stock XR100's and for the cost to hop it up like hoblicks i could just buy another XR (like I really need another)

The grom will continue to be my pit bike and burnout machine (at least until I burn off the Vee rubber)

Smart Russ.

Biggie

Ha, I think I know who you are. The Grom burnouts were killing me last weekend. 

i was the only Grom racing.

I'm hoping more show to have a Grom only class, but for now ill run F3 with it

safety wire all the bolts that need to be, take headlight off, taillight off, i added a number plate to the front.

I'm up to race mine. I'll need to prep first. I figure it'd get motor'd by the xr's... But if there were a few other groms, we could duke it out.

According to some guy on the WERA board, I'm a moron for thinking the Grom won't beat an XR hands-down. 

I suppose on a much bigger track, the Grom's top-speed advantage could render it significantly quicker, but what else am I missing?  I'm not trying to grom-bash.  There's a reason Jeff keeps taking Russ's for joy-rides even though he has an XR of his own, but people seem to assume they are a ton faster than the XR, when that hasn't proven to be the case (yet?).

According to some guy on the WERA board, I'm a moron for thinking the Grom won't beat an XR hands-down.

I suppose on a much bigger track, the Grom's top-speed advantage could render it significantly quicker, but what else am I missing? I'm not trying to grom-bash. There's a reason Jeff keeps taking Russ's for joy-rides even though he has an XR of his own, but people seem to assume they are a ton faster than the XR, when that hasn't proven to be the case (yet?).

I have experience on both, and they're both slow as hell.

I do feel like the xr has better aftermarket support since its had a stronghold in racing since the dawn of time, and the grom is a newer model.

I believe the grom is quite a bit heavier, which would offset the slight hp advantage.

I think since the xr's chassis is longer, it's a bit more comfortable to work with. Which is an advantage in the xr's favor in my mind.

Not to say both aren't a blast. I have a grom because its a street legal pit bike, I mean... What else do I need to say? lol. I just rode to work 20 some miles on it yesterday and laughed the whole time.

I suppose on a much bigger track, the Grom's top-speed advantage could render it significantly quicker, but what else am I missing? I'm not trying to grom-bash. There's a reason Jeff keeps taking Russ's for joy-rides even though he has an XR of his own, but people seem to assume they are a ton faster than the XR, when that hasn't proven to be the case (yet?).

Probably another example of big bike guys not knowing how fast a stock XR can be on tight kart tracks.

PIRC Wilson may show different results.

Regardless, the stock XR will always be cheaper to buy, build and crash. It's sad when the dirt bike has more gears than the street bike.

Biggie

This looks like a blast! How much would it cost to get started? Can you join mid-season? Are there any practice days and someone willing to let a supern00b take their bike for a spin (wreck)?

start-up costs really depend on how nice of a bike you want...  Yes, you can start mid-season.  Practice days are whenever you want to go and have $20 to spend. 

If you're looking Grom, that's $3k.  If you're looking at beat-to-shit XR100's, mine was $450, plus the parts I threw at it.   Other people spend double or triple that on their XR/CRF to get newer and nicer models. You can realistically get on track with a bone-stock XR100, a 16" XR80 front wheel, and moped tubes/tires (I have a set for sale if you want extra cheap tires...)

If you have racing gear, that's a $0 start-up.  Otherwise you should be able to find good leathers for $300 or less.  gloves and boots in odd colors tend to be on closeout.  All told, you'll have $500 or more invested in gear.  Probably more.

Fees are cheap compared to any other type of racing.  With transponder rental and 2 classes (4 heat races) a weekend, I end up paying around $75, including gate fee.

I suppose on a much bigger track, the Grom's top-speed advantage could render it significantly quicker, but what else am I missing?  I'm not trying to grom-bash.  There's a reason Jeff keeps taking Russ's for joy-rides even though he has an XR of his own, but people seem to assume they are a ton faster than the XR, when that hasn't proven to be the case (yet?).

with a tooth down in the front, i noticed i was pulling the XR i was trailing behind down the back straight.  was it me carrying more corner speed, or just the Grom having a little more power i don't know.  my from makes more power than a XR, but even with weight reduction it still is about 40 lbs heavier.

geared right, and a lot of seat time i really think the from can turn 57 sec or so lap times.  i just need seat time and a lot of it on this bike.  i had 2 hours of practice one day, then race day i had maybe 30 mins of practice, and 2 race heats.  and i switched rear sets between the time i first practiced with it and race day. 

i know it pulls very good out of corners, and i just don't see why it wouldnt run similar lap times to when i was on my NSR50.  its got it in it, i just gotta ride it to its capabilities.

Good to see you on here Russ! 

This looks like a blast! How much would it cost to get started? Can you join mid-season? Are there any practice days and someone willing to let a supern00b take their bike for a spin (wreck)?

You can come out for a single race or all season... your choice!  OMRL does have some rental XR's if you wanted to try it out for a weekend. 

Keep your eyes open on CL and message boards for XR100 or CRF100's... once you get the bike we can tell you what and where to get the few extra goodies you may want. :)

If you want something that looks pretty and don't like the older style... here you go, 2006 CRF.  http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/4428022670.html

2003 https://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/4425110122.html

Edited by bark615

What does a rental cost?

I have rental bikes available, If you want to race one class I would do $50 (plus $25 crash deposit, if the bars touch the ground you loose the 25, if not you get it back, also if your wreck damages more you will be responsible for damages)

I have rental bikes available, If you want to race one class I would do $50 (plus $25 crash deposit, if the bars touch the ground you loose the 25, if not you get it back, also if your wreck damages more you will be responsible for damages)

Sounds fair.  I think I'll give it a try.