Pulled over after running my plates.

idodishez

I believe the DPPA already addresses this.

I don't believe the DPPA applies to my concern at all, not even remotely. Especially considering it was passed in the mid 90's before this was going on...and the reporter mentioned above still had her travels recorded and kept in a database.

Tonik, those scanners look for pre-loaded information to hit on. They don't run the information of every plate they see. 

'Splain please. Curious now how they work. I get they only hit on certain things, but if they don't run the plate they see how do they hit?

I don't believe the DPPA applies to my concern at all, not even remotely. Especially considering it was passed in the mid 90's before this was going on...and the reporter mentioned above still had her travels recorded and kept in a database.

http://lprfacts.com/myths-vs-facts/

They mentioned it here, in my skimming I noticed they referenced the dppa and your concern, which is why i mentioned it...

Didn't have time to read the whole DPPA...

'Splain please. Curious now how they work. I get they only hit on certain things, but if they don't run the plate they see how do they hit?

When records are entered in LEADS, they are entered with plate numbers.

When a file gets entered into LEADS, it's considered a hot file.

That Hot file is downloaded by agencies, and uploaded to the camera software. Normally on a central server for the PD or SO. It is up to the local department to keep an updated list of hot files for the cameras to access.

The camera scans all the plates it sees, and queries them all based on all the plates loaded from the hotfiles. If it finds a hit it will query the entire record that plate is attached to.

So yes, it looks at plate info. But it doesn't actually pull up the info attached to the plate, until it finds one it's actively looking for.

Hope all that makes sense.

When records are entered in LEADS, they are entered with plate numbers.

When a file gets entered into LEADS, it's considered a hot file.

That Hot file is downloaded by agencies, and uploaded to the camera software. Normally on a central server for the PD or SO. It is up to the local department to keep an updated list of hot files for the cameras to access.

The camera scans all the plates it sees, and queries them all based on all the plates loaded from the hotfiles. If it finds a hit it will query the entire record that plate is attached to.

So yes, it looks at plate info. But it doesn't actually pull up the info attached to the plate, until it finds one it's actively looking for.

Hope all that makes sense.

Wooo, so like this:

1) Scan plate number.

2) Plate is listed as 'hot' based upon criteria of the software/pd.

3) 'Hot' plate detailed info is pulled.

And a non-hot plate looks like this:

1) Scan plate number.

2) Not 'hot' so no info other than plate number is in the car because it isn't hot and life goes on to the next plate to scan.

Is that pretty much it?  I feel better about this now, as long as there is a step 3 on a not hot plate.  That number and it's location and it being scanned is discarded.