Too much air right?

Tonik

So my front tire is squaring off a little. That is to be expected with the amount of highway I have been doing lately. But the squared off part is only about 2 inches wide...the two ridges that have been created are two inches apart. This is on a 130 tire.  It isn't cupping, so it isn't under inflated and I am running it higher than factory spec, but I think I am too high.

Edited by Tonik

That was my first reaction too, that it was under. But it isn't cupped. Big heavy cruisers cup the hell out of an under inflated tire in a heartbeat. Plus I know it isn't under because it is over and I am anal about checking it. It is weird, and these tires do suck, they are Bridgestones made especially for Kawi cruisers with extra suck included at no extra charge. The back sucked so much I replaced it at 4K. Was hoping to get 8 or 10 out of the front. I would move it to the back  do burnouts for an hour if it would fit.

I had it at 9 over. Asshats at Kawi put 26 in it and everyone that has this bike agrees that sucks. I may have gotten carried away. Dropped it back to 30.

Similar story on my stock front. It looked weird when it was wearing out. Didn't happen on any replacement tires.

26psi is stupid. That's the design lower limit of all tires. Too risky that it would go lower. If it does go lower, it starts to slowly destroy the tire. I would guess that slowly the cord had started to change or separate. Replace the tire now. Run the pressure from tire standards based on vehicle weight. If it handles strange, get a bike that doesn't do that.

Tire pressure (and design of tires) is based on tire size and load (weight of tire and passenger). Anything else like adjusting for handling or traction is generally premature wear.

Without looking it up, 36psi would have been closer to the correct pressure for max load on board.

Edited by ReconRat

...the two ridges that have been created

are two inches apart. This is on a 130 tire. 

If it was a 130/70 R17, we could slap it on the rear of my bike

so I could go down to Hocking Hills and burn those ridges back

down into the proper tire profile, for you.  I would return it all

better, minus about 250 miles of life, and maybe a little "burnt"

odor.   :D

That was my first reaction too, that it was under. But it isn't cupped. Big heavy cruisers cup the hell out of an under inflated tire in a heartbeat. Plus I know it isn't under because it is over and I am anal about checking it. It is weird, and these tires do suck, they are Bridgestones made especially for Kawi cruisers with extra suck included at no extra charge. The back sucked so much I replaced it at 4K. Was hoping to get 8 or 10 out of the front. I would move it to the back  do burnouts for an hour if it would fit.

I had it at 9 over. Asshats at Kawi put 26 in it and everyone that has this bike agrees that sucks. I may have gotten carried away. Dropped it back to 30.

Sell that sucky cruiser and buy a scooter.  They're a lot easier on tires and cheaper.

Problem solved!

:D

Kawi recomends 26?

What is the max pressure listed on the sidewall?

41, thus the 35 I used. Well within the tires range. Since dropping to 30...about 500 miles later...the ridges are still there but not getting worse. It's a Bridgestone tire, they suck. That is my current theory.

I'm no expert on cruiser tires...but by any chance is it a dual compound tire?  I remember Bridgestone had issues with 'steps' forming at the compound change and it caused some bizarre looking wear patterns.

Not dual compound, not a bad gauge (checked against others) and my attitude is just fine. In fact I'm a very happy person, happy to tell everyone exactly what I think of them!

Going to post up on a voyager forum, see what others with this crappy tire have to say.

• Upvote 1