Thousands of bikers in Washington for rally on POWS

Strictly Street

Washington (AFP) - Thousands of bikers roared through Washington for the annual Rolling Thunder rally Sunday, given added fervor this year amid anger over an ongoing scandal concerning medical care for veterans.

Organizers estimated around 750,000 bikers and spectators had descended on the US capital for the annual eve-of-Memorial Day rally in support of American prisoners of war and those missing in action, as they have each year since 1988.

The awe-inspiring show of motorcycle might includes many US military veterans on bikes, clearly identifiable in leather jackets emblazoned with military badges and medals.

More here:

http://news.yahoo.com/thousands-bikers-washington-rally-pows-190930561.html;_ylt=AwrBJR_XYoJTDHoAO.XQtDMD

I was there.  It was pretty impressive to see, and highly annoying to navigate. 

DC traffic sucks balls pretty hard under normal circumstances.   Adding in a 6 mile group of motorcycles required closing multiple highway exits.  My bottomless bloody Mary brunch was also seriously disrupted by the a-holes on straight-piped cruisers who thought it was cool to peg the rev limiter at stop lights. 

I was more annoyed because it was scaring the crap out of my daughter, and our friends' two sons (4 yrs, and 6 months).  I'm officially a cranky old man yelling at kids to get off my lawn.

I was there.  It was pretty impressive to see, and highly annoying to navigate. 

DC traffic sucks balls pretty hard under normal circumstances.   Adding in a 6 mile group of motorcycles required closing multiple highway exits.  My bottomless bloody Mary brunch was also seriously disrupted by the a-holes on straight-piped cruisers who thought it was cool to peg the rev limiter at stop lights. 

I was more annoyed because it was scaring the crap out of my daughter, and our friends' two sons (4 yrs, and 6 months).  I'm officially a cranky old man yelling at kids to get off my lawn.

Any pics?

What was the mood of the people over the VA scandal thing?

Edited by Strictly Street

I didn't take pics.  We only saw the mass of bikes from a highway overpass.  I do wish I could have snapped a shot of that, but we were grateful to be in traffic that was not stopped, so the opportunity was fleeting.

In the District itself, I saw almost exclusively cruisers.  On the highways, I saw more Hayabusas than I have ever seen in person before. 

Two riders in particular stood out to me though: a guy on the oldest GSXR 1000 I have ever seen (so effing cool), and a guy on a Buell XB12 who was weaving through highway traffic at about 95mph.  He was nuts.