Duke engine

smccrory

Dude that invented the rotary engine was named Wankel. If that isn't enough for you, he was a Jew hating Nazi nut job.

http://jalopnik.com/the-inventor-of-the-rotary-engine-was-a-nazi-nutjob-1030379772

Rotary engines suck.

It's not a Wankel engine like a Mazda RX7 type. Totally different design. 

Edited by mello dude

I knew it was a totally different design, thus my comment; "A new awesome rotary engine with new awesome suck is introduced every once in awhile.".

So yes, my opinion still stands.

• Upvote 1

Rotary almost finished Suzuki in the 70's.

Edit: posted this before I could watch the video. Different engine?! Maybe Suzuki can try this and almost finish itself off in the 10's.

Edited by DAC

On paper, I love rotary engines. 

In practice, they offer disappointing torque, and worse fuel economy.

If the need is a lot of high-RPM power in a small package, then rotary all the way, but in the current American and world economy, no one is going to mass-produce an engine that is 1.8 liters, and only gets 20mpg (estimates pulled out of my ass based on the RX-8's dismal economy numbers).

They turned a wobble plate a/c compressor into a gasoline engine.

The wheel can only be invented so many times.

That's not the point.  The point is that this is the first time someone has used it to convey multiple piston forces to a central shaft using a wobble plate.

Maybe it'll work out, maybe it won't, but I for one am glad someone is trying, and are already seeing encouraging results from their prototype.

Y'all would make terrible R&D employees!

Edited by smccrory

If this thing is so awesome how come we have not heard more about it in the last three years..which is how old that video is. Or in the last 11 years which is when Duke first started making this kind of engine. Or in the last 104 f'ing years when this wobble concept was first tried.

I'll tell you why, because they suck.

If this thing is so awesome how come we have not heard more about it in the last three years..which is how old that video is. Or in the last 11 years which is when Duke first started making this kind of engine. Or in the last 104 f'ing years when this wobble concept was first tried.

Oh Jim, please do share with us your mechanical engineering credentials!  :crazy:

To be fair, the engine is a solution looking for a problem, but that's how a lot of innovations start out.

Recall that a lot of folks predicted doom for electric vehicles too, and for 90+ years they were completely right - lead-acid batteries were not up for the task, nor were NiCads.  Then within the last 10 years, lithium changed the game entirely and "suddenly," after a century of development, it's day again.

It takes time to develop new engines that are radically different, and it'll take time to prove this engine out for various uses.  Duke appears to be focusing on international and defense venues, which may explain their relative radio silence elsewhere.  A primary benefit is ultra-low mechanical vibration - something no other petrol engine (not even the wankel or stiller-smith) can achieve, so they have a real benefit for an application that would otherwise have to look at battery-and-motor power.

Oh Jim, please do share with us your mechanical engineering credentials! :crazy:

To be fair, the engine is a solution looking for a problem, but that's how a lot of innovations start out.

Recall that a lot of folks predicted doom for electric vehicles too, and for 90+ years they were completely right - lead-acid batteries were not up for the task, nor were NiCads. Then within the last 10 years, lithium changed the game entirely and "suddenly," after a century of development, it's day again.

It takes time to develop new engines that are radically different, and it'll take time to prove this engine out for various uses. Duke appears to be focusing on international and defense venues, which may explain their relative radio silence elsewhere. A primary benefit is ultra-low mechanical vibration - something no other petrol engine (not even the wankel or stiller-smith) can achieve, so they have a real benefit for an application that would otherwise have to look at battery-and-motor power.

I don't understand any application where there's need for an ultra smooth internal combustion engine. If harmonics and vibration is your enemy, mounting systems have become very sophisticated. Honda cars have electric/hydraulic engine mounts.

Just seems like a waste of time/money/and resources.

Now electric stuff is innovative and useful. As battery/controller/charging technology progresses, it's going to be interesting to see what comes of it.

I don't understand any application where there's need for an ultra smooth internal combustion engine. If harmonics and vibration is your enemy, mounting systems have become very sophisticated. Honda cars have electric/hydraulic engine mounts.

Just seems like a waste of time/money/and resources.

Now electric stuff is innovative and useful. As battery/controller/charging technology progresses, it's going to be interesting to see what comes of it.

http://www.dukeengines.com/application/multi-aps/

There have been several hydro engine's that worked very well, that we still hear nothing about. The Duke engine is a great combination mechanical engineering. 

As for those who complain the "rotoay sucks", I have to say you suck at maintaining one, or are too close minded to use it within it's intent. Sure you can bully a Jew hating Nazi with a name like Wankle, cause it sounds funny. The fact is,  major car manufactures bought rights to build and use rotary motors in their car's. Company's like  Alfa RomeoAmerican MotorsCitroenFordGeneral MotorsMazdaMercedes-BenzNissanPorscheRolls-RoyceSuzuki, and Toyota. So apparently some pretty smart people in the car world saw this could work. Difference would be, Mazda made it work. But, it required different care than people would give other cars. So, the car would fail, do to neglect. And people would be upset about something they didn't care for properly and bad mouth it. 

The rotary and the duke function unlike what we see in most engine designs. Until any thing is proven, most people hate it, because it's different. 

Tonik, you seem very over opinionated and closed minded. Did you once have a rotary you didn't know how to care for?

There have been several hydro engine's that worked very well, that we still hear nothing about. The Duke engine is a great combination mechanical engineering. 

As for those who complain the "rotoay sucks", I have to say you suck at maintaining one, or are too close minded to use it within it's intent. Sure you can bully a Jew hating Nazi with a name like Wankle, cause it sounds funny. The fact is,  major car manufactures bought rights to build and use rotary motors in their car's. Company's like  Alfa RomeoAmerican MotorsCitroenFordGeneral MotorsMazdaMercedes-BenzNissanPorscheRolls-RoyceSuzuki, and Toyota. So apparently some pretty smart people in the car world saw this could work. Difference would be, Mazda made it work. But, it required different care than people would give other cars. So, the car would fail, do to neglect. And people would be upset about something they didn't care for properly and bad mouth it. 

The rotary and the duke function unlike what we see in most engine designs. Until any thing is proven, most people hate it, because it's different. 

Tonik, you seem very over opinionated and closed minded. Did you once have a rotary you didn't know how to care for?

So of that list of car manufacturers how many are currently mass producing automobiles with rotary engines or the duke? Why do you think that is?

No one mass produces the rotary anymore. Mazda stopped in June of 2012. And of that list, 3 makers had working models. It doesn't mean it didn't work. It wasn't profitable to continue to make it. And auto makers are looking for the profit, of course. But, you didn't post in this to add anything useful or any insight. You posted to argue, with your continued defense being that something sucked to you. Very informative. 

Edited by Mojoe

Well a friendly ribbing.... from your posts its seems most stuff sucks to you anyhoo. 

- Engine wise, I was just enjoying some engineering creativity, good, bad or indifferent. 

Edited by mello dude

No one mass produces the rotary anymore. Mazda stopped in June of 2012. And of that list, 3 makers had working models. It doesn't mean it didn't work. It wasn't profitable to continue to make it. And auto makers are looking for the profit, of course. But, you didn't post in this to add anything useful or any insight. You posted to argue, with your continued defense being that something sucked to you. Very informative. 

I didn't claim they were good. And so far there is no reputable evidence that they are. Not even a hint that they are good like a major auto maker trying them in a limited run.

Well a friendly ribbing.... from your posts its seems most stuff sucks to you anyhoo. 

You are spot on. I have become very cynical in my old age. All these awesome new engines that never turn out to be anything. The next great politician that is going to save it. Some day you will be old like me and tire of the broken promises. But until then it is best to hold on to that hope.