Sigh

Calinazaret

So I'm here at Iron Pony trying to replace my sprocket which is a custom mod and they don't have that exact kind in stock. I knew they probably wouldn't. The mechanic pulls me aside and says "you might want to call him and tell him we don't have that part but this one will work just as well."

"What? Call who? It's my bike."

"Oh, uh, well..."

My life every day as a female motorcyclist.

Can't say im surprised to hear of something like that happening, even more so since your not riding some 250. If I hadn't met you getting off your bike, I wouldn't have guessed it to be yours. Not to make any excuses for the situation though.

But have you done much research on sprockets?

There's alot to know in that realm, just because your bike came with an aftermarket sprocket doesn't mean you have to get the same one, in fact you could very easily find there are better options out there that better suit you and your riding style. You can make changes to the sprockets that will make your bike feel like anything from a docile sheep to a raging bull. Its all about rider preference, also the material of the sprocket comes into play aluminum VS. Steel, ect. (life span). Basically just saying don't make your decisions based off the bikes previous owners decisions. Good luck tho, of course you'll always have plenty of supports here it seems :)

Can't say im surprised to hear of something like that happening, even more so since your not riding some 250. If I hadn't met you getting off your bike, I wouldn't have guessed it to be yours. Not to make any excuses for the situation though.

But have you done much research on sprockets?

There's alot to know in that realm, just because your bike came with an aftermarket sprocket doesn't mean you have to get the same one, in fact you could very easily find there are better options out there that better suit you and your riding style. You can make changes to the sprockets that will make your bike feel like anything from a docile sheep to a raging bull. Its all about rider preference, also the material of the sprocket comes into play aluminum VS. Steel, ect. (life span). Basically just saying don't make your decisions based off the bikes previous owners decisions. Good luck tho, of course you'll always have plenty of supports here it seems :)

I'm still pretty ignorant about sprockets; I just know they're better when they have all they're teeth lol. I consider myself an intermediate novice about bikes and I'm thrilled to get to know more. But right now I just needed to get the thing fixed so I could get back out there. Speaking of which, when we riding again? :-)

I'm still pretty ignorant about sprockets; I just know they're better when they have all they're teeth lol. I consider myself an intermediate novice about bikes and I'm thrilled to get to know more. But right now I just needed to get the thing fixed so I could get back out there. Speaking of which, when we riding again? :-)

perfectly well and fine with me.

I'm currently in the same position, just trying to get road worthy, should have my new tires any day this week. I'll be way too excited when the mail lady drops them off, like shaking and twitching from withdrawals all the way to the shop to get them mounted on until that cool wave of adrenaline rushes through me and I have my fix haha.

I'll give you a shout when im ready to get out, maybe we can meet up for some more good riding sometime this weekend

I'll give you a shout when im ready to get out, maybe we can meet up for some more good riding sometime this weekend

Cool beans!

It's worth noting that the rest of my experience here has been really great. Aside from the one blunder everyone's been really professional and they're doing a couple freeby things which is always nice.

Cool beans!

It's worth noting that the rest of my experience here has been really great. Aside from the one blunder everyone's been really professional and they're doing a couple freeby things which is always nice.

Unfortunately we Males still need to be periodically reminded of stuff like this.  It happens in the computer field too, ya know...

Unfortunately we Males still need to be periodically reminded of stuff like this. It happens in the computer field too, ya know...

I'm not really too bothered by it. There's a difference between ignorance and discrimination, and very rarely do I feel discriminated against. And attitudes have come a long way in just the 6 years I've been riding.

I do my home work prior to going to any "shop/parts house". I rarely have this issue, with cars or bikes. I figure out what I need/want, research a little then buy. I do most of my own work (minor stuff), but I started in the auto parts industry long ago.

Another way to a void this is refer to the bike as yours " I need a sprocket for my..."

What do you know about the sprocket?

If you have the chain type..520, 525, 530

Front and rear sprocket size (number of teeth)

We can help!

Not sure where you are located but there has to be a board member close who will assist with the installation and teach you how this process works.

I highly recommend replacing your chain and sprockets at the same time. I would also use a steel rear sprocket, as there is no benifit to using aluminum on the street, other than buying more sprockets.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, paying a shop to put a rear sprocket on is probably gonna cost you a chain and front sprocket lol. When your ready for this stuff let me know and I'll be more than happy to help you out and show you how to replace it all.

Every day of my life too. 

I agree, its ok enough when someone just makes assumptions unless they're trying to screw me over.  I've embarrassed a few mechanics who have tried to trick me into expensive repairs that I didn't need.

oh, traditional gender roles, lol. 

I'm gonna go do the laundry now.

• Upvote 3

Every day of my life too.

I agree, its ok enough when someone just makes assumptions unless they're trying to screw me over. I've embarrassed a few mechanics who have tried to trick me into expensive repairs that I didn't need.

oh, traditional gender roles, lol.

I'm gonna go do the laundry now.

Already did mine. And I might be a better cook than you. All the best cooks are men, don't you know...

Already did mine. And I might be a better cook than you. All the best cooks are men, don't you know...

I can almost guarantee you're a better cook than me.  I like to cook, but I also like to have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen while I do it :)

• Upvote 1

What do you know about the sprocket?

If you have the chain type..520, 525, 530

Front and rear sprocket size (number of teeth)

We can help!

Not sure where you are located but there has to be a board member close who will assist with the installation and teach you how this process works.

I highly recommend replacing your chain and sprockets at the same time. I would also use a steel rear sprocket, as there is no benifit to using aluminum on the street, other than buying more sprockets.

I decided to go ahead and have them replace the whole deal this time even though the chain and drive sprocket were still relatively ok. I might have saved myself a few bucks doing it myself but I'm just not there yet and It was worth it to have her done sooner. I'm more than willing to let someone help replace my fork seals, though, lol. Will cook or bake for moto help!

The thing is, I'm not an expert by any stretch. I consider myself an intermediate novice who's learning. But people /always/ assume I know less than I do about bikes and it gets old quick sometimes.

When a guy cooks for me it's like Christmas. Seriously. It can be fish sticks and pop tarts but if I didn't have to make it, it's the best thing ever.