Will it hold? Swing arm pivot removal

Steve Butters

Ok so im trying to do some powdercoating on the CB..There are these fake frame rail looking covers on it that are hideous. The swingarm pivot bolt runs through them so I'll have to remove pressure from swingarm, slide bolt out, and then remove cover. I can probably slide the bolt back in afterwards to keep the bike up on a stand while its out for powdercoating.

Someone suggested to me to hang the back of the bike from passenger pegs on the bracket for my garage door. Here's a pic of the bracket, do you think it looks sturdy enough to support 150-200lbs of weight from the bike? The bike is relatively bare boned in the rear section, but I'm hesitant hanging it from the garage door supports (especially on a rental home). Here's some pics....the other option is to put some sturdy thick hooks in garage ceiling, just dont have a ladder id have to go borrower one from someone to do it.

IMG_20140529_215521_zpso0hooavg.jpg

rear of bike sans muffler and wheel (which would both be removed for this)

20140430_22543701_zpsfchtywmf.jpg

and the pieces im trying to remove

IMG_20140529_222817_zpszeq2gx5k.jpg

Edited by Steve Butters

So I have everything apart and just the bolt is still in.. Bike still on rear stand... If I gently tap the bolt, it will slide out... If I'm leaving everything else in tact (chain, shock etc) would it be OK to tap the pivot bolt out and remove this cover and slide it back? I'm just afraid I'll tap it out and then not have it line back up to put it back in... If I had 2 more people to help stabilize it, I could jack from oil pan and slide it out real quick... Just need someone up front holding it and someone balancing it on jack while I do so, which I don't have

Or maybe put slight pressure on jack under oil pan, not enough to lift bike but enough to keep it from dipping or anything and then tap bolt out and slide back in?

Edited by Steve Butters

Nevermind thanks... I don't know why I even post tech threads.. I think maybe it just helps to get ideas in writing... I'm always too impatient to actually wait for advice... I figured it out.. Did the job with equipment that definitely isn't rated for the weight of the bike but I made sure once this stuff was supporting it I hurried and took bolt out and put it back in.. And left stand in as a safety... Worked out alright aside from me worrying about this stick or tote cracking the whole time lol... But it's safely back on stand now... Now to find powdercoater out here

bc7c8e31-7f00-4da9-85ea-3b90642fe40a_zps

Edited by Steve Butters

Looks like a good setup. In the future instead of the stick, Lowes and Home Depot sell steel rods for a couple of bucks. I bought a 1/2" one that is three feet long and i use it to hold my bike up while doing rear end work. It is more than enough to do the job.

• Upvote 1