Buell 1190SX Unveiled

Tpoppa

Comments I've seen on the appearance so far have been lukewarm.

My thoughts:

I am not sure the high RX tail section works visually on a naked bike.

Leaving the coolant overflow out in the open looks kind of sloppy.

I am not crazy about the head light or fly screen.

I would prefer more sexy styling for $15-18k or whatever MSRP is going to be.

Performance wise it should be in the same league as KTM 1290, S1000R, V4 Tuono, etc.  

Hmm...  the aesthetics are really "busy."  Doesn't really look like a naked bike to me.

It looks very naked to me.

It looks busy because nothing is hidden. I don't see hardly any plastic pieces that are not a functional part of the bike. 

For that reason I like it. However I know an EBR price and performance are outside my reach so I wont be owning one.

Craig

Funny that Gabe Ets-Hoken is doing something for another magazine than his own.  I hope City Bike isn't going under!

About the bike, I kinda like it.  But it does look very busy.  I wonder what it weighs, and who is making their engines?

EBR purchased the rights to the engine from Rotax.  Rotax is no longer involved in any way.  So technically it's an in house EBR engine.

Cool to see they're getting their claws around everything involved on the bike.  I can't say I'll be in the market for one, but I'm glad it'll be out there.

Hmm...  the aesthetics are really "busy."  Doesn't really look like a naked bike to me.

This

I like it, would rock one in a heartbeat. Looks VERY Aprilia like.

...and this

It will be an AWESOME machine. As far as I know the engine will be untouched from the 1190rx. If my assumptions are correct it should be geared slightly lower. Fact, versus the RX the rear of the sx is raised an inch or so via a spacer in the rear mono. This is a hooligan bike through and through designed for the experience rather than the appearance. Sure it looks edgy and unorganized but you have to realize that this Is a first year production bike from a new company. It is exactly what is lt was supposed to be, a 1190rx without the fairings and a little more attitude.

To me it kinda looks like someone crashed an RX and then installed aftermarket street fighter parts.  Styling has never been a Buell strength, but it might need to be to pull sales from Ducati, Aprilia, BMW, etc in this price range.

I'm a big buell, and now EBR fan. I've actually been waiting on this bike for years. Unfortunately, EBR took a little longer than originally anticipated and I ended up purchasing a different bike.

I think the performance for this bike will be very on par for the competition and price tag. Aesthetically, I wish they would have gone with a shorter, more lightning-esque subframe and seat.

I absolutely love that all software for TC is produced in house. They do, however, need to figure out ABS. All their competition has ABS.

I believe these bikes will sell well, to aficionados. I don't think hoards of new buyers will be beating down EBR's door. It's a bike made for buell people by buell people.

• Upvote 1