Vortec 5.3L/6.0L Engine Swap - what shops should I talk to?

rayzzr

I'm in Western Central OH (New Bremen) and looking for a reputable but cost effective shop to possibly swap my 2001 GMC 5.3L with a 6.0L crate engine. The current engine has 210k on the clock, and evidence of Dex-cool in the oil. Not good. I know a lot of these year engines had issues with heads cracking. Who knows how long it has been seeping water in there. I saw orange goo under the oil filler cap. It must not be leaking much, because I only add water every 2 months and it is a very small drop. With no more than I am driving it these days, it should be fine but I don't trust it for long hauls with my bike trailer.

From what I have read, the 6.0L swap is fairly straightforward for an experienced mechanic. There is my issue - I am new to the area and don't know who I should talk to. Anyone have any suggestions? I know a dealer could do it, but they typically charge a lot more, and I know there are lots of independent garages with techs with as much or more experience.

Not looking to hot rod it, but figured if I am replacing the engine I should go big (or go home...). I just want a reliable truck that I can depend on, without dumping 35k into a new one.  

You're not far from Sidney, so I recommend Mantor Auto & Truck. Worked with the owner ( Brian ) for a few years at Freightliner. Good guy, smart mechanic, ex Marine, hard worker, fairly priced. Here's his website, hit him up and see what he can do for ya.

http://autorepairsidneyohio.com/

The sway is pretty straightforward, mechanically.  The problems arise with getting it to run right.  All of the 6.0 trucks came with the 4L80E trans, and the 5.3's came with the 4L60E.  It's not as simple as running a 6.0 program in it, unless you swap the trans out as well.  If you want to run the 6.0 with the current trans, you will need someone to PROPERLY set it up in the PCM and PROPERLY tune it.  There's a ton that goes into doing it right to prevent problems with eating up the trans, and not everyone that can use the tuning software knows how to do it right!  

Lockwood Performance in Celina could do it. They rebuilt my Camaro motor many moons ago. They are a race shop but given the ease of a motor swap they would probably do it. or they could rebuild your 5.3. with go fast goodies for about the same or less id assume.