Hocking to Marietta Various Roads Report

Mary#17

Husband and I did an overnight trip to Hocking Friday/Saturday.  Did mostly our normal roads.

RT. 374 - pretty dirty especially north side.  Lots of fine silt/dust on the road. Made for some interesting wheel spin moments.

RT. 56 (between 374 and Bloomfield) - the winter definitely did some damage as have the storms.

Rt. 56 East of 374.  Two single lane closures where the road has caved in. One is almost fixed. 

356 - heading south from 56 is cleaner than heading north.  Lots of silt and fine dust. The rain is just wreaking havoc in the valleys and flood areas.

50 has lots of new pavement.  It was very nice. We usually just use this to connect to 278 but the little bumps used to wreak havoc on my kidneys so this was really appreciated.

278 - pretty decent shape throughout except in the wooded section up north.

685 - pretty clean. Some dirt from rain runoff but not bad.  We usually take this and then turnaround and head to 691. You can now take the new section of 78 that was added directly to 33 or to 691.  Probably could do it last year as well but we hadn't taken that in the past. Very nice connector.

691 - Good shape.  I ran over a snake. freaked me out a bit.  I think it was already dead but I was in the middle of passing a truck so not sure.  Blah!

550 - I always forget how much I like this road. It's really a great cool down and warm up road. We take this to get to Marietta where we stay at The Hackett.

Fun trip. Need new tires AGAIN!

Take care and stay safe!

Mary

• Upvote 1

Are you talking about the bp/post office/head shop where the 550 jogs over?  I couldn't agree with you more. I would turn around and keep doing that section several times if I thought I could get away with it. :)

Yeah at the bottom of a big hill. There is like 8 tight sweepers that change direction quickly. At the bottom of the hill, there is a BP and rt 78. Rt 78 just got a new repave last week.

It's route 550 and 377 intersection. Part of 377 had new asphalt but only about half, the northern half up to 78 is groved and dirty. Hopefully this will be done this week.

It's route 550 and 377 intersection. Part of 377 had new asphalt but only about half, the northern half up to 78 is groved and dirty. Hopefully this will be done this week.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I rode 78 earlier this year and man was it rough.