Cleveland selected for 2016 Republican Nat'l Convention

redkow97

I'm extremely happy about this.  Lots of money coming into the city, and the chance for Cleveland to make a positive impression on the country.

I'm also pleasantly surprised by how intelligently my more liberal friends are handling this.  They seem to be acknowledging that it's good for the local economy, despite their disagreement with the party line.

I'm just waiting for one of them to accuse me of being Republican...  I haven't voted for a Republican presidential candidate since 2004.

If you don't want the RNC here, your stupidity trumps your politics.

Hotels, Restaurants, Taxis, Car Rentals, Bars, etc, etc will all get a huge economic boost.

Hell, we might even have to bring in more hookers just to keep up.

• Upvote 1

I'm extremely happy about this.  Lots of money coming into the city, and the chance for Cleveland to make a positive impression on the country.

I'm also pleasantly surprised by how intelligently my more liberal friends are handling this.  They seem to be acknowledging that it's good for the local economy, despite their disagreement with the party line.

I'm just waiting for one of them to accuse me of being Republican...  I haven't voted for a Republican presidential candidate since 2004.

Republican!  There ya go, don't you feel better now? :-P

I agree, and wish Columbus would have scored the deal.  For good or bad, I don't think a convention reflects one way or another upon a city.  Heck, I don't even remember where the last Rep and Dep conventions were held, but I'm sure the local economies appreciated them!

The only bummer is the traffic snarl and security clusters, especially if the party hosts a visiting prez or famous dignitary.

I sure hope they don't invite Clint Eastwood back through - that was... awkward...

Hell, we might even have to bring in more hookers just to keep up.

Shut you mouf!  Republicans are all about moral, family-orented, clean living values.  Then again, the liberal mainstream media will also be in town... :-P

Cool, now we just gotta snag the dnc.

Can't. Dems have a clause that their convention must be exclusive. They won't use the same city as the Repubs.

Ohio needs to be sure to keep the vote close between the parties. Being a swing state is a nice way to get both parties to spend more money here. :)

Craig

Ohio is a red state with blue cities.

Based on land area that's very true, but city populations make our state sometimes swing blue in national elections.  That's not uncommon across the U.S. BTW.  Republicans typically have the rural advantage; Dems have the urban one.  If you're a Dem, that's because redneck hicks don't know any better and vote stupidly.  If you're a Repub, it's because disconnected egghead system-suckers have lost touch with family, god and country.  Both are right, and wrong.

I agree that the convention would be excellent for the local economy, however I'm also aware that they would be fucking awful for those of us who live here.  If for some reason Columbus gets the DNC, me and the future Mrs Cheech are busting out of the city for the weekend.

How do you figure? Other than traffic, I can't see how the influx of democrats would affect anything. It's not like they move in an vote...

Total softball for GOP fans. C'mon OR, make me proud! :-D

Cheech is terrified of democrats. :lol:

Damn dirty liburals.

To properly answer redkow's question:  A massive influx of tourists and new people into a city with a barely-functioning mass transit system, the protests, the counter-protests, the "free-speech zones" and the associated overbearing LEO response to all of the above, the gawkers and rubberneckers alone should make Comfest look like a quaint gathering in the park.  Not to mention the Secret Service security entourages for multiple people (thanks Obama!) adding a whole other layer of what-the-fuckery to the already Thurman-sized holyfuckburger.

Like I said, it'll be great for the city, I just don't want to have to deal with it.  Instead of fighting it, I'll just quietly leave and return in a few days.  No biggie.

Edited by Cheech