Broken Bolt removal assistance needed

redbarron77

Long story short, the bolt that holds my tank on broke off.

How can I get this out to put in a new one, or should I take this to someone who knows what they are doing?

FYI - I changed the spark plugs last year, and that is probably the upper end of my mechanical skills.

It really depends on how much of the bolt is still hanging out.

Is it broken flush? Or is there some threads sticking out?

Can you grab remaining bolt with vise grips? (I do not recommend this, as I use bolt extractors.)

Few different extractor styles, usually require drilling bolt. Can also get reverse drill bits.

If there is some of the bolt hanging out, then you can grab with grips and try. Bolt may be seized in frame though, which means its going to fight you. Get some pb blaster and soak it. Sometimes I soak a rag with blaster, then set the soaked rag on the bolt for a few hours.

Last resort: drill it all the way out, thread chase or if you have to drill that big: helicoil

Short story long:

Was riding along, and when I slowed down for a red light, heard some really bad rattling sound.  Pulled off the road, and I thought the bolt had loosened and run itself out.  When I had a chance to look at it yesterday, found the damn thing had snapped off!  Last time I did anything with this bolt was last spring when I changed the plugs out.  I didn't think I overtightened it, but I must have.

10547608_10203161249207018_5626619935118

you can see the bolt is shorn off.

10380897_10203161249967037_2727249307397

even with the tank in the way, you can see the bolt broke down in the threads of the hole(there is probably some mechanical term for this, but I am not mechanically inclined).

Any ideas, or do I take it to someone who knows what they are doing?

Shouldn't be too hard. You can try to turn it out with some punches, just find a low spot and put a dimple there, then use a punch and hammer to try and turn it out. Another option would be if it's a through hole to try and turn it out the other side. An ez out would work too. Where are you located?

pick up some extractor bits, and be sure to use the drill-bit they recommend!

I have used these with success in the past on brake caliper bolts that I over-tightened and snapped off.  Ordinarily I would advise heating the bolt before extracting, but flame + gas tank is probably not a great idea.  Hair dryer or heat gun would do something, but not much...  Spray the shit out of it with penetrating oil, and let it set over night.  Then drill the bolt, tap in the extractor bit, and twist slowly with a socket wrench. 

good luck.

I work at a job shop machine shop and we get this kind of thing in occasionally.  If you don't have luck with your extractors, I'd see if there are any shops around that might be able to help.  Bolts are not usually hardened, but if you get the threads screwed up enough to need a helicoil, it might be wise to have somebody put that in for you.  Good luck!

Likely a grade 8.8 metric M6 or M8. Penetrating oil bath and extractor kit would probably suffice, and gives you a reason to buy an extractor kit for any future issues.

I like having reasons to buy new tools :D

Edited by Hellmutt
  • Upvote 3

keeping a couple of extractor bits in my tool box has prevented any bolt breakage for me since I twisted off the caliper bolts in my 600RR in 2011, I believe.  It's like bringing an umbrella to ensure that it doesn't rain...

• 3 weeks later...

followed the advice here, got self tapping extractor set and put in the pilot hole for safety:

13561_10203291654707074_1207838510296082

decided to use the smallest extractor, 6 mm, and about 10 seconds into the "Tapping" faze, the drill jerked forward.  My first thought was "I just ruined the threads on this!" (along with a few choice expletives)

The broken part of the bolt fell through the hole and down to the ground.

10530821_10203291655467093_3162329609246

The bolt remains are on the right....

Thanks for all the suggestions, and now the bike is as good as new!