Price Check on Kawasaki ER-6N Please

Wojo72

I'm looking at a 2009 Kawasaki ER-6N.  It has less than 1000 miles on it.   How much SHOULD I pay for it?  They have $5200 on it which is higher than what Kelly Blue Book says.

Is there better place to look up values?

I found another one at Pony Motorsports with 2K miles for like $900 less. 

I'm looking for a bike that is mild enough for a beginner while being interesting enough that I won't want to trade it off for a loss in the spring.

Anything you buy now (especially a starter bike) will sell for a profit in the spring (unless it's from a dealer).

Don't spend 4 grand on your first bike.  Make sure you like riding, you can be decent at it, and you've learned how much it sucks to drop a motorcycle before you buy one you like and want to keep nice.

It'll only be your first bike - there's plenty of time to change it up later & try something else.

Edited by Josh1234

I found another one at Pony Motorsports with 2K miles for like $900 less. 

I'm looking for a bike that is mild enough for a beginner while being interesting enough that I won't want to trade it off for a loss in the spring.

And that is a great choice as is a V-Strom 650. 

NADA is what banks and insurance companies use to determine value. 

they also look at "comps" to see what the market will support.  Like Josh said, this time of year, that's going to inflate the value.

Too late now, but in the future, I would start off a thread like this by simply describing the bike as best you can, without saying what the seller wants for it.  

I'm not saying $5200 is or isn't a great deal, because I have no idea what ER6's go for, but I know what else I would buy instead for the $5200 asking...  Rather than getting straight opinions on what that bike is worth, you've got me thinking about how else I'd spend that amount of money. 

Edited by redkow97

What would you recommend in that price range for a newbie?

they also look at "comps" to see what the market will support.  Like Josh said, this time of year, that's going to inflate the value.

Too late now, but in the future, I would start off a thread like this by simply describing the bike as best you can, without saying what the seller wants for it.  

I'm not saying $5200 is or isn't a great deal, because I have no idea what ER6's go for, but I know what else I would buy instead for the $5200 asking...  Rather than getting straight opinions on what that bike is worth, you've got me thinking about how else I'd spend that amount of money.

Whatever you want! $5000 will buy you almost any bike if you don't mind 20,000 miles and 5 years old.

If this is your first bike, I would spend no more than $2k, and then plan on selling it for a newer/better bike in a year or two.

The ER6 you posted is a nice ride that you could keep forever, but I would buy the clean SuperHawk or the used Z1000 posted before paying more for the ER6.

**that is what I would buy, not what I am suggesting you buy.

If you're looking for specific models, I am biased toward the EX500, because that was my first bike.

In hindsight, I lucked my way into an awesome purchase. They are cheap, fast enough to cruise at 100mph all day (and push 120 if necessary), handle decently, and are mechanically solid.

Other good options would be a Honda hawk, but that's bordering on "collectable" these days, or an FZ6R if you found one for cheap.

Ninja 250/300 or GS500/buell blast are other fun, reliable, low-powered bikes that are great for new riders.

Whatever you want! $5000 will buy you almost any bike if you don't mind 20,000 miles and 5 years old.

If this is your first bike, I would spend no more than $2k, and then plan on selling it for a newer/better bike in a year or two.

The ER6 you posted is a nice ride that you could keep forever, but I would buy the clean SuperHawk or the used Z1000 posted before paying more for the ER6.

+1

Get a bike 5 years old at a good price and ride it for a year. If you don't like you can nearly recoup your cost, or better. In the mean time you are riding.

After you have been riding a year or 2 you will have a much better idea want you want and then you can shop for a bike to keep, if that is your choice. 

Me i got lucky and got my first 2 bikes at a great price, and the second has been a keeper. Ofcourse the second has depreciated considerably even from my great initial price because I have a bad habit of getting in over my head on back roads and breaking thinks :(

Oh well a few scratches just add character, right  :)

Craig

Pretty much any 650 twin is a good starter bike that you won't outgrow anytime soon.

Spend as much as you are comfortable knowing that a lot of 1st bikes wind up on their side at least once.  But that's what insurance is for. 

SV650 or FZ6 would be my two choices. In addition to them being great bikes, their respective online communities are quite large. Neither bike will be outgrown for a long time.

I miss my '09 FZ6 every day. I love the bagger, but I miss that speed and agility.