Tech Support Scam phone calls(i think)

2talltim

Since I don't answer any phone calls that i don't at least reconize the area code i usually use hit ignore on all others, i figure if is important they will leave a message, So this number has been calling me non stop for the last 2 weeks, 3 and 4 times a day and it shows up as 1-860-111-1111 and of course its  hidden number that you cant call back, so today im feed up and answer it. Its a guy(strong Indian accent) that only knows my phone number does not know my name or anything else tells me he's calling because my computer is at risk and he is calling me to help me fix it. He does not know what kind of computer i have or anything of that nature. I start getting rude about all the phone calls and cut him off many time ans he just keeps rambling, trying to get me to start up my computer so he can step me through the process. I tell him what ever you are selling im not buying and he reassures me he is not selling anything and ust wants to help me fix my computer.  I finally get super rude an tell him i am sick of all the phone calls and he's need to take my number off his list nd quit calling me, i am not interested,  and if i want my computer fixed i could handle it on my own. Only other thing i got out of him was that he was with Geek Tech Support, not Geek Squad nor have i ever bought anything computer related from Bestbuy.

Has anyone else gotten these?, I'm pretty sure its a scam but i could not tell for sure. If i had more time i would have seen what he wanted me to do in my computer but i was already pissed that  my phone had rang with that number 3 times before 1pm today.

Most definitely a scam. I receive these types of calls nearly daily... I finally gave the one guy heck, and even talked to his "supervisor". (his supervisor sounds an awful like like the same voice I was just speaking to)

Just a tip or hint... any time you receive an unsolicited call about your computer, and even if they aren't asking to directly connect to your computer, don't follow their instructions. A lot of these guys are no longer trying to convince people that they will connect and "fix the issue". Instead, they ask that you go a "tech-fix-it" dot-com site, download software that supposedly fixes the problem, then charge you to correct all the additional issues that the newly downloaded software created.

It's often referred to in the industry as "ransom-ware"

Ask them for legitimate business information, and listen to them fumble over their own words...

• Upvote 1