Just got back from test-riding a 2010 Ninja 650R

Josh1234

This one on Craigslist caught my eye:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/4585639168.html

(yeah, I'm a sucker for blue)

The fairings are in very poor shape.  The bike has been dropped at speed on one side and from a standstill on the other, it looks like.  One piece of the nose was repainted (poorly) and so it's darker than the rest, and there's overspray on the adjacent upper fairing.  There are scratches on a matte-black part of the engine from the zero-speed drop.  The rear brake lever has (is) gouging a fairing where the fairing is pushed outwards because of the two brothers exhaust.  

The other was a very nice guy who showed up in a helmet, but clearly not ATGATT.  Said he's selling the bike because he's moving, and that he's had it for a year.

That said, it's a 2010 650r in my favorite color for an asking price of $3,200.  

I'd texted him Friday, but schedules didn't work.  I texted him again this morning, and we met up.  (that's how he said he knew I was a serious buyer... because I texted him in the morning, haha).  I told him ahead of time I would like to see the bike, but wasn't going to bring money this time, although if I liked it, the next meeting would involve money & a plan to purchase on the spot.

So we met up, and I discovered all that about the bike.  I wasn't planning on riding it, although he wanted me to.  As he put it, he wanted me to know that the bike was mechanically sound, even if the fairings were LBTS.  So I took it for a 5 minute spin.

My number one takeaway is turning.  Compared to to the Ninja 500 I ride, It was incredibly hard to push the handlebars over to turn the bike.  So here's my questions... Is that due to the geometry of the bike?  Because it's a wider tire than I'm used to on my 500? Just how most bikes are, and I've been riding one with much easier turning?

Anyway, it clearly has more power, and is a "nicer" motorcycle.  I mainly ride while commuting on the highway for about 30 minutes each way, and surely this would accomplish that easier than my 500.  I WOULD need all new plastics, but the seller did say his list price of $3,200 was negotiable.  It might be pretty beat up, but it IS a 2010 with less than 5,000 miles.  

Anyway, if anyone has experience riding a ninja 500 and a larger motorcycle, and can comment on the steering, that would be great...

If anyone rides a 650 and wants to test ride this thing for me, holler for sure... I'm not particularly experienced when it comes to evaluating motorcycles.  

I'm tempted to buy this for cheap, ride it for a year, and get new fairings for it next summer if I keep it.  (I have motorcycle ADD like TPoppa does.) 

at first I thought it was pulling left, then after riding it a couple of minutes I realized I actually had to push/pull harder than I'm used to to turn the handlebars.  The more I think about it, the more I want to buy the bike.  Sure would suck to find out later there's something wrong with it, though.

I live my 650 that is all

^^That is biased propoganda :D

Josh, it seems like this one has had a rough life for sure -- That said, with no more miles that it's got, it may be worth jabbing his price down some more to accommodate replacing/repairing bodywork to your liking since the powertrain is likely still sound even if the maintenance has been neglected.

• Upvote 1

at first I thought it was pulling left, then after riding it a couple of minutes I realized I actually had to push/pull harder than I'm used to to turn the handlebars.  The more I think about it, the more I want to buy the bike.  Sure would suck to find out later there's something wrong with it, though.

Low tire pressure would fight natural turning input, it's happened to me before.  

Handling can be sorted out with suspension tweaks and tires. How did you like the motor, ergonomics and general feel of the bike/stiffness of the frame? I've heard the 650 twin is an excellent mill for its size and that these bikes can be set up to be a very capable carving knife.

Handling can be sorted out with suspension tweaks and tires. How did you like the motor, ergonomics and general feel of the bike/stiffness of the frame? I've heard the 650 twin is an excellent mill for its size and that these bikes can be set up to be a very capable carving knife.

Pass! There are other bikes in better shape. You will dump money into it and end up spending more bucks than if you found one in great shape. 

Thanks guys.  The motor was (obviously) much stronger & gruntier than my lil 500, which is just what I'm looking for.  It's possible that the turning was simply just not what I was used to, underinflated tires as mentioned above, or just tires that don't turn as easily as other models.  

The ergonomics were a mixed bag... When I got back on the Ninja 500, I realized right away that the lower pegs on the 650 were more enjoyable.  I'm 6'2, and I've realized before that proper riding position on the 500 can't coexist with both comfort and time.  Pick two, y'know?  

But aside from the footpegs, it felt like I was sitting straight up.  On my ninja 500 I lean forward at least a little bit, and I didn't feel like I was on the 650.  Maybe it was just that I wasn't used to it, but I like being able to "tuck in" at least a little bit. I don't like sitting straight up.  I wish I'd had more experience than having it be my second bike, but the posture and ergos on my yzf-600 that I used to have seemed perrrrrrrfect.  From what I've read, that wasn't just me, though, it's general consensus.  

As for being a corner carver... The more I ride, the more I'm thinking that I love commuting on a bike, but the twisties still scares me.  I'm okay to approach the limit of my riding skill, but I don't need to be PUSHING those limits.  

We texted a bit after the test ride... he bit the bullet and wrote first.  In short, before he'd accept 2500, he'll try and get 2800 for it, or 2700 with the stock exhaust (the two brothers on there was certainly a little bippity brappity... I like my bikes quiet, not loud).  That sounded reasonable to me... The situation I was considering was paying 2500 for it, riding it for the rest of the year to make sure I like it, and then spending the money for new fairings for next season.  At anything higher than 2500 I don't want it, because although it's far newer & has lower mileage than any other bike I'm considering for the price, and just the right engine size/style for me... I think it's truly a beat-to-shit bike, and that means unknown problems.

Pros:

1.  Color.  Love that blue.

2.  Engine size/Config.  650 twin is perfect for me.  Enough "go" to easily cruise the highway, but not more than I need.

3.  Year.  2010 is newer than most other bikes I'm looking at (i.e., spending 3K or less.)

4.  Mileage: It had under 5K miles, which is real nice.

Cons:

1.  Fairings.  All fairings would need to be replaced.

2.  Seating position.  Not sure I like sitting straight up. Would need 2nd test ride.

3.  Turning.  Not what I'm used to, for the worse.  Could just be a familiarity issue, but could be.... (see #4)

4.  Unknown condition of bike.  This is the real deal-breaker. I'm not an expert.  I can look at a fairing and know it needs replaced, but that's about it.  For all I know, the frame is cracked and the forks are bent.  I mean, sure, I rode it, but I rode it for less than 5 minutes, and on top of that, I don't know what it SHOULD have felt like.  I know it's been down (at least once, if not more) and I don't know what lasting problems there might be because of that.

All in all, I'll let this go unless he texts me in 2 weeks desperate for a sale.  Then I'll lowball him, of course.

Until then, I'm going back to trying to find another blue YZF-600 in good condition for supercheap ;)  And while I do, I'll keep on ridin' the 500, which is serving me fine.

My only dislikes about my existing ride are that it could stand to have a LITTLE more power on the highway, and the high pegs.  My 30 minute commute is all I'd really want to do on them.  And for power, I really just need to downshift if I wanna go faster.  Oh, and the color, feel free to tease me about that ;)

Thanks again, guys. 

Barring any major flaws like bent/broken critical pieces or cracked welds, I think $2500 is a good deal.  Since you would save a few bucks, you can always buy sport bars for around $150 for the 650 that'll probably give you the seating position you're looking for.  I love the more upright position on my 650 though.

So, did you end up buying it?

No, the last text was the offer of 2500, and I said I'd think on it.  I'm going to wait and see what happens with a yzf600r in Youngstown... That's how I know how badly I want the 650r... If it gets sold while I'm putzing around with other bikes, then it means it wasn't really in my heart :)

That said, I would probably get used to the seating, and if sticking up vertically was a problem, I would probably just get a new windshield or something... Most of my riding will be on the highway.  Windshield seems like a smaller mod than handlebars, and I'd want to keep the bike as close to stock as possible.  Or I could use the money saved to buy an entirely new set of plastics :p

If I decide to buy it, anyone who wanted to come look at it & ride it would actually be greatly appreciated....... :)

You need to buy that ninja, and you need to start riding more with experienced riders in the twisty stuff. You learn by doing and watching and taking good advice from seasoned riders, straight line riding does not teach you much. Get out in the rain too.......you will do these things if you truly want to get better and more comfortable. :)

Edited by Pokey
  • Upvote 2

I need either a more knowledgeable person to look at it, or to have it inspected by a mechanic. I don't know enough to evaluate it properly.

As for riding the twisters with others... I'm a little hesitant to push my limits. It's one thing to push my comfort zone, but it's another to overextend and have an accident. I DO like the idea of doing, watching, and getting advice from everyone. I have a ton of respect for riders here, since pretty much everyone has more experience than me.

Hopefully I'll get some details from armith about a yzf600 tomorrow... If it turns out to be a good deal, I won't be buying the ninja 650r.

I need either a more knowledgeable person to look at it, or to have it inspected by a mechanic. I don't know enough to evaluate it properly.

As for riding the twisters with others... I'm a little hesitant to push my limits. It's one thing to push my comfort zone, but it's another to overextend and have an accident. I DO like the idea of doing, watching, and getting advice from everyone. I have a ton of respect for riders here, since pretty much everyone has more experience than me.

Hopefully I'll get some details from armith about a yzf600 tomorrow... If it turns out to be a good deal, I won't be buying the ninja 650r.

You have to change your mindset, otherwise your skills and comfort zone will never increase. Head South and hit some twisty pavement, better yet do it with somebody from this forum who can learn you a thing or two. You commute and I can assure you that is more dangerous than heading out to the rolling countryside away from cages and distracted drivers. Heck I would meet up with you for sure, we need to get your confidence level up. :)

You have to change your mindset, otherwise your skills and comfort zone will never increase. Head South and hit some twisty pavement, better yet do it with somebody from this forum who can learn you a thing or two. You commute and I can assure you that is more dangerous than heading out to the rolling countryside away from cages and distracted drivers. Heck I would meet up with you for sure, we need to get your confidence level up. :)

TY for your support!  I took two years off from riding, but I'm back in it now. I did make a few rides, and I'd love to catch the next big group ride.  It seems like a lot of people here like to push the limits, though, and I'm a little wary of that... and I can also understand not waiting to wait for a slowpoke, or stopping to give advice when they'd rather be riding. 

Once it cools off a bit, I plan to sign up for an Advanced Rider MSF course, too.

Until then, I'll just be bike shopping ;)