Just got back from test-riding a 2010 Ninja 650R

Josh1234

TY for your support!  I took two years off from riding, but I'm back in it now. I did make a few rides, and I'd love to catch the next big group ride.  It seems like a lot of people here like to push the limits, though, and I'm a little wary of that... and I can also understand not waiting to wait for a slowpoke, or stopping to give advice when they'd rather be riding. 

Once it cools off a bit, I plan to sign up for an Advanced Rider MSF course, too.

Most 

Until then, I'll just be bike shopping ;)

You have a good head on your shoulders and that is fantastic. I don't recommend a big group ride by any means, just hook up with one or 2 riders at the most. Very willing to hook up sometime, and I adjust how I ride to whom I am riding with. Good luck on your next bike choice, there are some good ones out there.

I ride a cruiser, and I am generally a slow poke, the whole pushing your limits thing is not where its at... yet... chasing people with their bikes already setup for them is at best a questionable idea.

you need to ride for you for a while, I recommend finding a "safe" road and work your muscle memory through it.. I enjoy some of the smaller state park roads, woven into the contour and if you get out on a weekday often really quiet. I was having horrible handling problems on my cruiser, my stock style beach cruiser bars had my weight too far back and was making the front seem squirrelly, threw a set of drag bars on and the change in posture and weight distro has made a huge difference in the handling and soon after my confidence. I only figured this out by  going slow and slowly getting faster and trying different throttle levels to see what was happening through the turns. its your bike, keep the parts for resale purposes but make it fit you.

as far as large group rides go, there are some real yahoo's in some of the groups I've ridden with, not from OR but in general, and the last thing you need is to misjudge a turn and have to go wide and there be a bike where there shouldnt be. small groups of people you know, that know where you are in your experience would be much safer for you and them until you get yourself and the bike dialed in. JMHO.

• Upvote 1

... It seems like a lot of people here like to push the limits though, and I'm a little wary of that... and I can also understand not waiting to wait for a slowpoke, or stopping to give advice when they'd rather be riding.

Going for a ride, and training are two different things.

Don't worry a bit about holding people up by not being

as quick as they are.  Whenever there is a turn, someone

will be there waiting for you so you don't get left behind. 

It's what we do.  The amount of time that people wait for

the back of the pack to catch up, gives the faster guys a

chance to catch their breath, anyway.  I only wish they

would allow me to catch my breath, also, before they take

off again.

I used to feel the same way about holding people up.  Not

anymore.  I'll teach them suckers to invite me along.  They

haven't learned yet.  They have to wait a whole 30 seconds

sometimes for me to show up.  The waiting time goes very

quickly, so it's nothing to be the least bit concerned about.

Just come out and ride "your own ride."  You are responsible

for your own safety, so no need to ride beyond what limits

you wish to set for yourself.  No need at all, unless you want

to push the threshold a bit.  Most of us do, I think.  I like to

keep my limits in expansion mode, but that's just me.

C'mon out and you'll enjoy yourself, fast, slow, or medium, it

doesn't matter a bit.

As for training, a big parking lot, some friends, an empty road,

an early Sunday morning, a book of advanced riding techniques,

and just a bit of adventure, that all goes a long way when you

want to expand your skills. 

• Upvote 1