Are headlights on a 2005 Impala automatic?

redkow97

so it's possible to drive with the headlights off, and think they're on, because the parking lights are on, and the gauges are lit, correct?

I need hard info on the 2005 Chevy Impala in particular.

without getting into details, I have a dispute as to whether or not that particular vehicle was driving with its headlights off.  The answer will be extremely significant in how things go forward.

Edited by redkow97

Can't say i know for this particular vehicle, I'm sure the FSM would have details on how they work if you have it.

I want to know why I see newer cars all the time, like 2005+, driving at night with headlights on and no tail lights lights at all. It's weird and I see it all the time, people have to be getting pulled over for it even if they don't realize it, I'm thinking it has to do with auto headlights also....

Our 07 i can turn the knob counter clock wise then the message on the dash reads "automatic headlights off" then turn the knob one click clock wise for the parking and 2 clicks for the headlights. Not sure if a 05 is the same or not.

Edited by 2talltim

When you turn the auto off, they work like a normal car where you can have either the parking or headlights on and the dash should light up like normal, I have not driven one of these but that is how every gm has worked that I have been in.

claine, those are daytime running lights.

claine, those are daytime running lights.

Yeah, forgot about those. Probably right. Even still, seems like it's become somewhat common for people to not have all there required night lights on in newer cars. Technology is fooling them.

my car has daytime running lights that do not illuminate the tail lights, but my car also has a sensor on the dashboard that turns on all the headlights and tail lights if it's dark enough.

On my car, I don't believe this feature can be defeated.  I find it mildly annoying when I'm under a bridge in traffic, and my headlights turn on, but it's otherwise a good safety feature (bad for stalkers though). 

Anyway, I'd still like a definite answer about the 2005 impala. 

http://www.vadengmpp.com/owners-manual/chevrolet/2005-Chevrolet-Impala.pdf

sections 3-14 through 3-16 may be helpful.

Specifically on 3-16 it sounds like the automatic system is only engaged if the manual exterior lamp control knob is set to off. Therefore it sounds like you can set the control knob to parking lights which will only illuminate (parking lamps, taillamps, license plate lamps, and instrument panel lights)

1 click left is off. 2 clicks right is always on. 1 click right is parking lights. If you leave it in the auto position the driving lights (reduced voltage to low beams) until it is dark enough and the light module times out for however long the delay is set for.

my car has daytime running lights that do not illuminate the tail lights, but my car also has a sensor on the dashboard that turns on all the headlights and tail lights if it's dark enough.

On my car, I don't believe this feature can be defeated. I find it mildly annoying when I'm under a bridge in traffic, and my headlights turn on, but it's otherwise a good safety feature (bad for stalkers though).

Anyway, I'd still like a definite answer about the 2005 impala.

Up your delay time or next time you need diagnostic service on it have the tech turn the sensitivity to low.

The definitive answer is yes you can turn the lights off. But must be performed at the start of each driving cycle.

And yes you can drive a gm vehicle with just the parking lights on.

Edited by zx3vfr

The GF 2005 Pontiac G6 has Off, Auto, Parking, and Headlights on the switch. You can figure out what each does.

EDIT: So yes, you can turn hers off. I'd say most GM cars that Era work that way.

Edited by mango_sv

We had a 2005 Chevy venture, and you could not turn off the head lights. If it was dark and you turned lights to off, they stayed on. Almost all GM cars of this era operated this way. The only way switch was effective was if it was light outside.