Let's discuss pole barns!

max power

If I were doing it again, I would install in floor heating, probably water heat, in combo with a forced air furnace using whateever fuel source is easiest and cheapest to get there.  The each system should help keep the other system from having to be used too much resulting in an overall savings.  I would add a few ceiling fans to help push air and run power out there by means of a sub panel if possible.  Not sure what all you plan on doing, but I would think 150 amp's is sufficient.  Bring power <in pipe> in underground if you can along with water and a couple of spare empty pipes <1" would work> for future needs.  If the building is not visible from the road I would not bother with a permit.  Thing is, I wouldn't be surprised to find out the jurisdiction you are in might now find out when you insure the additional building or for some other reason.  In this day of electronic bs seems all these places are linked.   If you choose to get a permit, build the basic structure <no floor, no electric, no amenities>, get the permit ok'd, the have at her.  Tell them its just for storage.

I've done this before and it works, but that was 20 yrs ago.

If I were doing it again, I would install in floor heating, probably water heat, in combo with a forced air furnace using whateever fuel source is easiest and cheapest to get there. The each system should help keep the other system from having to be used too much resulting in an overall savings. I would add a few ceiling fans to help push air and run power out there by means of a sub panel if possible. Not sure what all you plan on doing, but I would think 150 amp's is sufficient. Bring power <in pipe> in underground if you can along with water and a couple of spare empty pipes <1" would work> for future needs. If the building is not visible from the road I would not bother with a permit. Thing is, I wouldn't be surprised to find out the jurisdiction you are in might now find out when you insure the additional building or for some other reason. In this day of electronic bs seems all these places are linked. If you choose to get a permit, build the basic structure <no floor, no electric, no amenities>, get the permit ok'd, the have at her. Tell them its just for storage.

I've done this before and it works, but that was 20 yrs ago.

Thanks Mike. I'm still thinking about using the fuel oil boiler from the house to heat the floor, but the piping is pretty expensive.

I used to own a car wash that had floor heat.  

You need a boiler/heater and a circulating pump.

They usually use glycol instead of water.  A

special kind of tubing needs to be installed

inside the concrete as it's being poured.  It

works well, but not a very efficient heat source.

A concrete floor needs insulation from the

earth below.

"Heat loss from the edge and underside of a heated slab on grade can be substantial, especially in areas with high water tables or where the slab rests on bedrock. Edge and underslab insulation are essential in reducing these losses. They are a necessary part of any quality floor heating system. Not taking steps to mitigate such heat loss is like leaving the windows open throughout the winter."

http://www.radiantheatproducts.com/Slab_on_Grade_Heat.php

Like how much it costs at the moment and

how much area does a square yard actually

fill at 4" or 6"?

One Cubic Yard of Concrete … 

4-inches thick - covers 81 square feet.

5-inches thick - covers 65 square feet.

6-inches thick - covers 54 square feet.

http://www.schlosserconcrete.com/Concrete-Calculator.html

$75 per cubic yard *National Average in 2008.

http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete-prices.html

To determine the amount of materials you need in cubic yards, you must first convert all three dimensions to the same unit of measurement. There are:

• 27 cubic feet in one cubic yard (3’ x 3’ x 3’)
  • 46,656 cubic inches in one cubic yard (36” x 36” x 36”)

For example, to find the amount of concrete needed for a slab 6” thick by 12’ long by 12’ wide:

1. Convert the dimension in inches to feet (6” ÷ 12” = 0.5’)
  2. Multiply the three dimensions together to find the number of cubic feet (0.5’ x 12’ x 12 = 72 cubic feet)
  3. Divide the cubic feet by the number of cubic feet in a cubic yard (27) to find the number of cubic yards (72 ÷ 27 = 2.67 cu. yd.).

You can find the same result by converting all three dimensions to yards by:

1. Convert the dimension in inches to yards (6” ÷ 36” = 0.167 yards)
  2. Convert the dimensions in feet to yards (12’ ÷ 3 = 4 yards)
  3. Multiply the three dimensions together to find the number of cubic yards (0.167 x 4 x 4 = 2.67 cu. yd.)

http://www.todayshomeowner.com/cubic-yard-calculator/

Edited by JackFlash

Chumley has some 5 gal bucket that came with a mounted toilet seat, and comes with bags that are custom fit.  Not kidding.  Just in case its an emergency.  Not sure he's used it, but not going to lift the lid to check.  I know what my kids diaper pail smells like, not chancing it with my FIL .