Speed Angle GPS timer

Jester_

Starlane is the one I've seen more often, but GPS lap timing can be hugely beneficial.  I think it's cool no matter what, but sticking the unit on the bike of a faster rider is really where it starts to become eye-opening.

knowing how fast you're going in a given turn and when you're braking or getting on the gas can show you quite a bit, but seeing that a faster rider is braking X feet later, and taking a given turn Y mph faster is what really puts it into perspective.

I also like the "hypothetical best lap" feature where it will piece together your fastest split through every portion of the track and show you "if you did your best throughout an entire lap, this is what you're capable of running."  Awesome technology.

knowing how fast you're going in a given turn and when you're braking or getting on the gas can show you quite a bit, but seeing that a faster rider is braking X feet later, and taking a given turn Y mph faster is what really puts it into perspective.

This is super helpful, we did this with my gps data logger a few years ago, I need to bust that thing back out next season.

I'm trying to get an XGPS160 (external bluetooth GPS) to work with Harry's Laptimer. Relatively cheap setup compared to the other options ($145 for XGPS, $20 for Harrys), but I haven't gotten it nailed down yet. I tried everything out on Tuesday at Mid-O and by the time I got the app to stop crashing (thanks, iOS 8) I only had two sessions to figure out the GPS connection. It recorded some lap times but the recorded lines were kinda janky from having the GPS in my pocket I think. It said the signal was good but not good enough I guess. I'll come up with an external mount before the rider appreciation day and see where that gets me.

If I can get the setup to work though it has pretty nice potential. Speed readouts at all points, comparisons to reference laps and split times, acceleration/braking plots, even video syncing to a GoPro. Plus you can use the GPS for anything else on your phone that needs GPS data.

• 2 weeks later...