American Sniper

BadTrainDriver

• 3 months later...

Eh... if you haven't read the book it's a good movie.

If you have read the book it's some facts loosely tied together with embellishment and outright bullshit.

That can be said about every book/movie.  I especially don't expect reality from a military movie.

On that note though....I heard Unbroken is a ridiculously good book.

That can be said about every book/movie. I especially don't expect reality from a military movie.

On that note though....I heard Unbroken is a ridiculously good book.

I'd cut them more slack if it wasn't a biography. You shouldn't lie in a biography.

Seen it last night, the ending sucked. I don't want to give anything away for other's that have yet to view it. Also my son just spent a week on the range, and shot sharp shooter. He was so upset with himself for not getting expert. Hell he's only 19, he will pass the expert challenge soon enough. 

I think the movie was very good.

Mostly followed the book without too much "over the top" hollywood stuff.

Except for the fabricated the circumstances of his first kill, omitted the entirety of faluja aND sadr city, made the movie about him vs mustafa and fucked up the circumstances of the 2 guys that were wounded/killed and that whole rooftop finale at the end.

On its own it was a good movie. As a purported biography of Chris kyle it's a pile of shit.

Except for the fabricated the circumstances of his first kill, omitted the entirety of faluja aND sadr city, made the movie about him vs mustafa and fucked up the circumstances of the 2 guys that were wounded/killed and that whole rooftop finale at the end.

On its own it was a good movie. As a purported biography of Chris kyle it's a pile of shit.

Hmmm.  I bet this is why the movie is titled "American Sniper" and not "The Real and Totally Accurate Autobiography of Chris Kyle"….

Did I miss the press announcement that the Hollywood movie machine has eschewed the use of artistic license in their films to enhance dramatization and bolster revenue?

Did I miss the press announcement that the Hollywood movie machine has eschewed the use of artistic license in their films to enhance dramatization and bolster revenue?

No, true, you didn't, but the public absorbs movies more now as primary sources of reference. The Imitation Game was another movie recently that's outstanding, but has some important details wrong that'll confuse the crap out of people wanting to learn more from non-fiction sources.

Went & saw it tonight. Thought that it was a very well made movie. but as I left the show, what was going through my mind were three or four questions....who was the marine that shot him...what was his motive for the shooting...what happened to him ....and finally, did that episode of his shooting the other sniper actually take place as portrayed in the movie.

If this movie was done "by the book", it would have been a series of events rather than a story line. It would not have made a good movie whatsoever. A documentary, yes. They were able to incorporate many important events and themes, albeit, out of context in some cases, by following a fictional story line. If I recall from the book, his first kill was woman/child with the grenade....I'm not going to research to verify.

Went & saw it tonight. Thought that it was a very well made movie. but as I left the show, what was going through my mind were three or four questions....who was the marine that shot him...what was his motive for the shooting...what happened to him ....and finally, did that episode of his shooting the other sniper actually take place as portrayed in the movie.

No, he didn't kill Mustafa. He wrote that there was an enemy sniper called "Mustafa" and he was rumored to be an Olympian. He wrote that he had heard that he was killed at some point.

If this movie was done "by the book", it would have been a series of events rather than a story line. It would not have made a good movie whatsoever. A documentary, yes. They were able to incorporate many important events and themes, albeit, out of context in some cases, by following a fictional story line. If I recall from the book, his first kill was woman/child with the grenade....I'm not going to research to verify.

His first kill was the woman. Kid never got hurt. It was the fact that this woman would put the kid in that kind of danger that overwhelmed him and showed him the kind of savages he was dealing with.

While I realize that Hollywood is gonna do what they do I still think it's bullshit that they make a movie about a real person and fuck up so many important details. Now millions of people think kyle shot a 10 yr old kid, which he never did.

At the end of the book, there is a section where Taya and the screenwriter talk about the screen play. Taya's main goal was to make sure the movie portrayed the man accurately. The screenwriter acknowledges that he had to take liberties to create a story LINE for the sake of creating a movie. I think the movie did protray him well. He doesn't a lot of time with Chris and Taya. And honestly the book didn't read well from the standpoint that it jumped around a lot.

Take it for what it is. An entertaining movie about a great warrior, a loving father and husband, the conflict between those two lives. At the least it gives us a glimpse to a great patriot and maybe gets people to buy the book to learn more.