Ecigs, vaporizers and other tobacco alternatives

Gixxus Christ!

Wow. Another article demonizing e cigs. It's either the news agency making any nicotine users look bad, because there was nothing on how the study was conducted, or rjr and Phillip Morris paying them to run smear stories..

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/local_news/investigations/are-e-cigarettes-safe-to-use-new-research-shows-metals-found-in-vapor-of-electronic-cigarettes

Demonizing them?  I don't think it's fair to characterize information you don't want to hear as "demonizing" the activity.  If I talk about the risks associated with motorcycle crashes, that doesn't mean I'm demonizing the sport.  You may infer that, regardless of whether or not that's my implication.

Based on what I have read about e-cigs, the only variable they remove from the smoking equation is actual smoke.  That means a hugely reduced risk of lung cancer, and associated ailments.

But as the article notes, the nicotine (and other toxins) remain.  My understanding is that nicotine increases the risk of stroke and heart disease, regardless of how it is consumed. 

So are e-cigarettes "healthy?"  I don't think it's fair to say that they are.  Are they healiER than smoking tobacco?  In the sense that they eliminate smoke ingestion from the user's body, yes - but only in that capacity.

Edited by redkow97

Sources? Everything I've read says nicotine is only as harmful as caffeine... In a normal healthy person, there's very few if any ill effects... Yea it's toxic and can kill you, but only in larger quantities than one would actually consume (same as caffeine)... In people with weak hearts it can cause heart issues due to increased heart rate (same as caffeine)

Is it dangerous? Sure, I guess... But no more than a cup of coffee

Sources? Everything I've read says nicotine is only as harmful as caffeine... In a normal healthy person, there's very few if any ill effects... Yea it's toxic and can kill you, but only in larger quantities than one would actually consume (same as caffeine)... In people with weak hearts it can cause heart issues due to increased heart rate (same as caffeine)

Is it dangerous? Sure, I guess... But no more than a cup of coffee

You are correct. Nicotine constricts blood vessels, hmm sounds a lot like caffine. So long as your not puffing for 18 hours non stop a day or drinking 2+ pots of coffee a day, I think it's not gonna hurt anyone

and your point? thats comparing apples to oranges. too many variables, how much caffeine = nicotine? how much nicotine in the ejuice, it comes in many different strengths.

regardless - drinking 3 cups of coffee a day vs 1 cup of coffee a day doesnt matter - neither provide enough caffeine to become toxic. same for ecig juice.

anything can kill you in excess amounts. people die from drinking too much water, that doesnt make water dangerous, it just means dont be a fucking retard and kill yourself with water.

another good example - heroin. there is nothing "dangerous" in heroin unless used in a very large amount (OD)....addictive? yea. dangerous? not in small quantities.

the amount of nicotine it would take someone to die is way more than you would get from an ecig....and its not a permanent compound, your system will flush it out within a few days, so theres no long term build up

so - with 24mg (which is the strongest ive seen) ejuice, it would take 2ml of ejuice consumed at one time, assuming 100% absorption, before the average person would be facing any type of potential nicotine poisoning.....2ml per day is even a large amount for someone who vapes a lot during the day....generally i smoke mine on and off all day, and dont even go through 1ml...i can make a 15ml bottle last for 3-4wks

i just dont see the argument, but im open to a change of opinion if you can show me something convincing that nicotine by itself (no tobacco) is dangerous to consume in the quantities of an ecig

Edited by Steve Butters

I'm not telling anyone what to do, or claiming anyone is wrong. All I'm saying is that "safer" doesn't necessarily mean "safe." Everything I have read and heard through news outlets has indicated that nicotine ingestion isn't a healthy habit. New products aren't thoroughly tested, and many people have no clue what their vapor juice actually contains.

and your point? thats comparing apples to oranges. too many variables, how much caffeine = nicotine? how much nicotine in the ejuice, it comes in many different strengths.

regardless - drinking 3 cups of coffee a day vs 1 cup of coffee a day doesnt matter - neither provide enough caffeine to become toxic. same for ecig juice.

anything can kill you in excess amounts. people die from drinking too much water, that doesnt make water dangerous, it just means dont be a fucking retard and kill yourself with water.

another good example - heroin. there is nothing "dangerous" in heroin unless used in a very large amount (OD)....addictive? yea. dangerous? not in small quantities.

the amount of nicotine it would take someone to die is way more than you would get from an ecig....and its not a permanent compound, your system will flush it out within a few days, so theres no long term build up

so - with 24mg (which is the strongest ive seen) ejuice, it would take 2ml of ejuice consumed at one time, assuming 100% absorption, before the average person would be facing any type of potential nicotine poisoning.....2ml per day is even a large amount for someone who vapes a lot during the day....generally i smoke mine on and off all day, and dont even go through 1ml...i can make a 15ml bottle last for 3-4wks

i just dont see the argument, but im open to a change of opinion if you can show me something convincing that nicotine by itself (no tobacco) is dangerous to consume in the quantities of an ecig

I didn't see anyone say anything about poisoning from either substance. I simply pointed out both nicotine and coffee are know for constricting blood vessels. which can lead to stroke over time

Maybe I'm a more casual coffee drinker than I give myself credit for, but I see my buddy's gf on her ecig a lot more often than I'm holding a coffee

If someone used to be a smoker, and now uses an e cig exclusively, they will use the e cig a lot more often than they'd actually "smoke" a cigarette, FYI.

An e cig delivers the nicotine in a different way than an analog cig(vapor versus smoke), depending on the MG amount of nicotine it can be a stronger or weaker "hit" than an analog cigarette, and where as one would normally smoke a cigarette until it was finished, the convenience of the e cig makes it a "draw or two, then set down" ordeal.

I'll take a hit or two, then set mine down, just to pick it back up ten minutes later. I use 12MG per ML nicotine, and use approx 2ML per day. Analog wise, that's less than half a pack of smokes.

Edited by BadTrainDriver

I've never read a report or had an intelligent conversation about e cigs where someone would say they are "healthy".

Is it a "healthier" alternative than smoking? Absolutely. There is no evidence to deny that fact, and tons of evidence to support it.

The e cig business is huge! Billions of dollars in 2013, as opposed to millions of dollars in 2012, and it's only getting bigger.

All of the horror stories that are being reported by news outlets are funded and directed by both big tobacco and drug companies.

Both of them stand to loose billions because of the popularity of the e cigs.

Big tobacco wants the e cigs to be federally regulated in a way that only they can produce them to a standard set by the FDA.

Drug companies want them gone because no one is buying their patch or gum anymore.

Something is going to happen soon with the FDA as far as regulations go, and if e cigs are regulated to the point where the use we know and love now ceases to exsist, I'll express my disapproval by stopping all together.

Big tobacco has lost my business forever, no matter what.

Edited by BadTrainDriver
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Figured I'd pass this along: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181333922690

iTaste MVP 2.0 for $41.99. Your choice of two iClear 16's or one iClear 30. I received mine in the mail today. It's legit. The real thing, in factory packaging, with the scratch off security tag and everything for about half what I can find them most anywhere else. I picked the iClear 30 since I already have three or four iClear 16's floating around here. 

post-8610-0-50761500-1397153629_thumb.jp