Casio G-Shock GD350-8

madcat6183

Today the mailman is bringing me a Bulova 96A118. Mechanical self-winding watch with dual aperture dial and 2 complications. $500 retail. Got it new with tags off eBay for $126.

I have this exact watch. Xmas present to myself 1 or 2 years ago. Great watch. Wear it on weekends when dressing up a little bit. It has a nice shine to it. 

Does it have the Tuning fork on the face some where? Bulova had two grades the grade with the tuning fork on the face is their signature line, while the ones with out are supposedly their seconds or slightly imperfects. They make all models in both series lines. Although 98% of the people out there wouldn't know the difference if it weren't for the tuning fork. Think I have one of each

Does it have the Tuning fork on the face some where? Bulova had two grades the grade with the tuning fork on the face is their signature line, while the ones with out are supposedly their seconds or slightly imperfects. They make all models in both series lines. Although 98% of the people out there wouldn't know the difference if it weren't for the tuning fork. Think I have one of each

Incorrect. In 2014 they removed the tuning fork from all models but the accutron 2. They did this to better represent the brand as the tuning fork is an icon of the original accutron, which was the world's first electronic watch and used a tuning fork that vibrated at a specific frequency to operate the balance wheel.

Bulova does not make a 'budget' or blemish line.

I think i crashed JB's G-shock while it was on my handlebars during an endurance race.  I know it was still working when I gave it back.

I wear a pair of Timex "easy reader" analogue watches - one with a black band, and one with a brown band...  They're slightly different fonts, and one displays the day of the week, but otherwise they're identical.  $35 if you don't hunt around for a sale.  Love them both, and while I was never a 'watch guy' before becoming an attorney, I wear one daily to avoid pulling out my phone in court or during meetings.

Incorrect. In 2014 they removed the tuning fork from all models but the accutron 2. They did this to better represent the brand as the tuning fork is an icon of the original accutron, which was the world's first electronic watch and used a tuning fork that vibrated at a specific frequency to operate the balance wheel.

Bulova does not make a 'budget' or blemish line.

Then i guess my local jeweler that has done it for a living for 40 years is wrong. Just conveying what he told me a several years ago and that was before 2014, it was prob 10 years ago he told me that. Not saying your wrong just saying someone has passed bad info somewhere, after all he is crazy old man..lol.

Edited by 2talltim

The rumor that I've always heard why special ops troops rocked watches like a Rolex; they knew they were worth money anywhere in the world if they became stranded and had to bribe themselves out of a situation. 

Watches, yea...I like them.

This is what I currently own:

Casio G-Shock GW9330B-1 30th Anniversary

20151202_195247_zps96rrdc8h.jpg

Casio G-Shock MTG 910-D that's eight years old and worn every day for work

Marathon C Sar

20141122_165400_zps8b86ca7f.jpg

Orient Pro Saturation Diver

20141105_135621_zpsa3cc1672.jpg

Edited by BadTrainDriver
  • Upvote 1

The rumor that I've always heard why special ops troops rocked watches like a Rolex; they knew they were worth money anywhere in the world if they became stranded and had to bribe themselves out of a situation.

Watches, yea...I like them.

This is what I currently own:

Casio G-Shock GW9330B-1 30th Anniversary

20151202_195247_zps96rrdc8h.jpg

Casio G-Shock MTG 910-D that's eight years old and worn every day for work

Marathon C Sar

20141122_165400_zps8b86ca7f.jpg

Orient Pro Saturation Diver

20141105_135621_zpsa3cc1672.jpg

The original navy frogmen were issued rolex watches because they were waterproof, rugged and had a sweep second hand, which the navy regulations required of a dive watch. The seals carried on the tradition since they were born from the frogmen and also issued rolex submariners. After the advent of rugged, affordable water resistant digital watches some teams switched to the time iron man, but could do so only after the navy regs were changed from 'sweeping second hand' to 'ability to measure elapsed time'. Issuing/repairing/replacing a $50 watch was more economic than a $700 watch and the repair turnaround time on the rolex was long. When the g shock came out it blew the iron man out of the water and became one of the watches of choice.

I like the orient dive watch, especially with the power reserve. May look into those. ..

For "that" type of watch, I believe the Orient is the winner in every way. Almost 5mm thick anti-reflective sapphire crystal, drilled 22mm lugs for easy strap change, it comes with both a rubber strap and a very nice bracelet, and it's a flat bargain both new and used. New is $900 or so, used in like new condition can be found for $600 or so. Timekeeping is incredible. I've had mine for over two years, and it's always been roughly -5sec per day. The Orient has much more heft that the Marathon C Sar I have, surprisingly.

Thanks for the info on the Rolex, too. Very interesting!

• Upvote 1