anyone into arduino or other electronics/robotics projects?

Gixxus Christ!

Yea, I don't think it'll do better than my Motion Pro manometer and I don't intend to rig up an servos for automatic syncing (no room, like you said), but I'm thinking it could start me along the way towards more complete engine monitoring.  Here's what I'm thinking - new electric cars and motorcycles have onboard telemetry that can tell you tons about how the vehicle is performing and helps to deepen the relationship between owner can vehicle.  With older carbureted bikes, you develop a feel for how they're doing and that's usually good enough once you go through the learning curve, but I kind of want to experiment with what additional data points could tell someone, especially if they're new to engines.

I see where you're going but there is no pertinent info about that motor that isn't already being fed to the ecu. There's got to be a simpler way to just display the values being read by the ecu than to intercept the data from the sensors or rig your own sensors to grab the same info.

So what are you thinking? Egt and ega, maybe map the ignition curve?

I'm stuck on how to turn my idea on and off so that it's not just sitting there sucking up power. There's got to be a way to actuate it with my headlights and then have it shut off on a timer after a minute, just need to figure out how to code it.

Those are great ideas.  In the end I'm thinking Cyl Head Temp, per-cyl Exhaust Gas Temp, maybe airflow and/or O2 if I can find a way not to drill into anything, per-cyl suction, battery voltage, current flow and charge/discharge, engine RPM and ground speed.  I'd like to log the data and also make it available by serial cable into a pretty app, ideally via bluetooth.

I'm stuck on how to turn my idea on and off so that it's not just sitting there sucking up power. There's got to be a way to actuate it with my headlights and then have it shut off on a timer after a minute, just need to figure out how to code it.

Maybe make that a secondary design requirement since your current draw may be too low for it really to matter?

Yeah the ultrasonic sensor only draws 15mA and an led even less so I'll probably just let it ride, or I could code it so that at say 1.5m I get a green light, .75m I get a red light, .25m I get a red light and then at .01m I get no light...that's starting to look like the most elegant solution.