Suggest a nightstand safe

Casper

Casper,

I use the Gunvault MV1000. I keep my XDs 45 in it loaded with 45 Talons. I used to have the shotgun for home defense but found it too unwieldy to use in close quarters.  I think I would feel the same on the AR15 and would not have it loaded with anything other than frangible ammo for fear of killing someone next door or down the block.  Anyone who would see the XDs and continue to do their thing would get a very rude awaking after the first round.

gv1000d-images-1.png

GV1000D.

Don't waste your money on biometric....they can be finicky. Don't want that in a situation.

That's the exact model I have. Works great for me.

By the way the reason why Lithiums are probably better for these is because they hold standing charges far better than nicads or even carbon batteries.

I'm looking for something like the GunVault micro safes but with better reviews. Any suggestions?

I have the sentry safe linked below for a handgun.  I keep an FNX .45 in it.  It has four buttons but requires 5 presses to open, the first one doesn't count it is just a 'wake up' press.  When I taught the wife how to use it I did not explain that. I just said hit these 5 buttons in this order. She practiced with an empty gun for a couple of weeks. She can now get it out and on target and off saftey (bedroom doorway) in a split second. It is actually amazing how fast she can do it. She still opens it a few times a week for practice, as do I.

It is a top open but that is no issue, the drawer opens plenty far enough for it to open fully. This .45 is a big gun and there is plenty of room.

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/496/QAP1E_Digital_Pistol_Safe_

Twice he confronted the burglars with a handgun

I had a police officer tell me that the AR-15 was the single best home defense weapon in his arsenal.

Silly testosterone induced comment by the cop. It all depends how far away the guy is when you recognize the danger.

Twice he confronted the burglars with a handgun

You don't confront anyone with a gun, you shoot them. If you don't fear for your life and need to shoot you have no business getting it out.

Yep, Lithium Energizer batteries made that thing spit open literally.  Going to do the same to the other this weekend.  I will still replace every year with new batteries, but now I really like my safe.  

Also I lied, I have the exact model of that pic which was the one with the battery issues, the other safe is a Bulldog same concept but came with this little thing to make AA batteries basically into a 9V.  But I am going to see if I can just use 1, 9V lithium this weekend instead, cheaper and all that jazz.

I never understood bedside safes. It only keeps the honest people out and slows you down. If you're worried about your kids playing with it, you have failed to demonstrate what a firearm can do.

My dad told me that I was never to touch his firearms unless I asked for permission and he handed it to me. He then proceeded to shoot something, I think it was a melon but may have been a dead racoon to show me what happened,with no ear protection do either of us and the noise alone probably kept me from touching them.

My daughter is to young to understand but everything is out of reach of little hands but as soon as she is old enough, I'll do the same thing my dad did.

Please be careful. A child's ability to reason is not developed like an adult. Something as easy as pressing four key strokes being the difference between life and death. There are no more teachable moments when that child lays dead on the floor.

For those of you that use a safe, surely you have a round in the chamber ready to go?

To each, his own.... Loaded magazine in the gun, but not chambered. Again, that one bit of added protection. For me, my vision of need is the bump in the night, dogs barking, alarm sounding....time to think and react. Someone bursting through my doors would have the upper hand, but wouldn't they with no safe and chambered weapons at the ready? I know I'm disoriented when startled from sleep. Again, to each, his own. I'm not here to convince anyone of doing something different. I like to know that my guns are secure from little hands of both my children and of their friends. I like to know that protection is a keystroke away. I like to know that if a child was able to access one of the safes through dumb luck, problem solving or finding the stash of keys (they all have a back-up key....locked away of course), they will have to consciously rack the slide to fire. I'm good with it that way. It works for me.

For those of you that use a safe, surely you have a round in the chamber ready to go?

I do, but with the gun in a small holster to protect the trigger during my draw from the safe. It's quick enough for me while balancing my safety concerns. I also prefer longer-pull actions over something like a Glock trigger.

I never understood bedside safes. It only keeps the honest people out and slows you down. If you're worried about your kids playing with it, you have failed to demonstrate what a firearm can do.

My dad told me that I was never to touch his firearms unless I asked for permission and he handed it to me. He then proceeded to shoot something, I think it was a melon but may have been a dead racoon to show me what happened,with no ear protection do either of us and the noise alone probably kept me from touching them.

My daughter is to young to understand but everything is out of reach of little hands but as soon as she is old enough, I'll do the same thing my dad did.

What about her friends? Even the ones who drop by when they're old enough to drive? Mine is 18 and believe me, friends will happen. But even before then, what about theft? If your house is robbed of your guns and they cause injury or death, you very well may be held civilly liable or even criminally negligent for not securing your guns. How would you feel about your speed-to-draw then? Edited by smccrory

I do, but with the gun in a small holster to protect the trigger during my draw from the safe. It's quick enough for me while balancing my safety concerns. I also prefer longer-pull actions over something like a Glock trigger.

What about her friends? Even the ones who drop by when they're old enough to drive? Mine is 18 and believe me, friends will happen. But even before then, what about theft? If your house is robbed of your guns and they cause injury or death, you very well may be held civilly liable or even criminally negligent for not securing your guns. How would you feel about your speed-to-draw then?

If someone wants your guns they will take them locked in a liberty safe or a cheapo Walmart safe.

If your home is locked and someone broke in and stole your gun from the kitchen table you are not negligent. It was secured by the locked door. Even as a gun store and FFL holder we are not required to have a safe. Good practice yes, required no. Your locked home counts as securing just as our locked business counts as secured.

• Upvote 2

If someone wants your guns they will take them locked in a liberty safe or a cheapo Walmart safe.

Far different levels of effort, and most crime is opportunistic.  i.e. If someone wants in your house, they'll get in, so why do you own door locks?

If your home is locked and someone broke in and stole your gun from the kitchen table you are not negligent. It was secured by the locked door. Even as a gun store and FFL holder we are not required to have a safe. Good practice yes, required no. Your locked home counts as securing just as our locked business counts as secured.

I may stand corrected on criminal negligence and don't have time to look up the cases, but I believe you'd still be vulnerable to civil (aka financial) liability if a victim's family convinced a court you put them at risk by not securing a gun.  Maybe more likely in California than Ohio, but still...

No. You're not.

By that logic it's also your fault if someone steals your car and uses it in a robbery. Steals your bike and kills someone during the getaway. Locked is secured. You locked your front door, took keys from ignition etc. Gun shops don't even put all their guns in the safe at night. Most major chain retail gun shops don't even have a safe. No gun distribution warehouses have safes. Gun manufacturers don't use safes. That semi truck that's parked at the truck stop for the weekend loaded with guns for Monday morning delivery is not a safe.

No, you're not negligent or liable

Edited by MidgetTodd

From AmericanBar.org: "Several states have taken steps to protect children from tragic gun accidents. Massachusetts has the strongest law in the country, requiring guns to be stored in a locked container or disabled with a trigger lock anytime they are not in use. California, Minnesota, and the District of Columbia also passed strong laws criminalizing the act of leaving a gun where a child may access it. Five other states impose criminal liability on an adult only if a child actually gets his or her hands on the weapon because of the adult’s negligent storage of the firearm. Even more states impose liability on an adult if a child gains access to a firearm and then uses the gun to hurt someone. Statistics and research prove that these laws are effective. States that have enacted these laws substantially decreased the number of unintentional child firearm deaths."

Tempt fate if you'd like. I'd rather avoid the whole moral morass and avoid public outcries to impose additional gun laws.

what about theft? If your house is robbed of your guns and they cause injury or death, you very well may be held civilly liable or even criminally negligent for not securing your guns. How would you feel about your speed-to-draw then?

From AmericanBar.org: "Several states have taken steps to protect children from tragic gun accidents. Massachusetts has the strongest law in the country, requiring guns to be stored in a locked container or disabled with a trigger lock anytime they are not in use. California, Minnesota, and the District of Columbia also passed strong laws criminalizing the act of leaving a gun where a child may access it. Five other states impose criminal liability on an adult only if a child actually gets his or her hands on the weapon because of the adult’s negligent storage of the firearm. Even more states impose liability on an adult if a child gains access to a firearm and then uses the gun to hurt someone. Statistics and research prove that these laws are effective. States that have enacted these laws substantially decreased the number of unintentional child firearm deaths."

Tempt fate if you'd like. I'd rather avoid the whole moral morass and avoid public outcries to impose additional gun laws.

You said theft from your home and used in a crime. Completely different than child protection acts you just quoted

Far different levels of effort, and most crime is opportunistic.  i.e. If someone wants in your house, they'll get in, so why do you own door locks?

I may stand corrected on criminal negligence and don't have time to look up the cases, but I believe you'd still be vulnerable to civil (aka financial) liability if a victim's family convinced a court you put them at risk by not securing a gun.  Maybe more likely in California than Ohio, but still...

i lock my doors to keep the honest people out.

I probably will keep doing what I'm doing. Bedside gun, which by the way I never even said what it was and CCW gun which does get locked up at night. All my other firearms are locked in a locker in the basement. The only gun that stays out is a shot gun, which yes I know goes against what I said before but I have systems and objects in place not to shoot towards my daughters room. There is no penetration through other dry wall I am worried about the way the house is set up.

And I always said, I'd someone wants to sue me, I'll be happy to hand over all my debt to them ;)

4170071148_ac2ac93ea5.jpg

Anyone that has fired rounds at drywall, cinder block, or 2x4 lumber, will tell you most caliber rounds go right through.

An accidental firing of a 22LR several blocks from where I am, managed to leave the house, cut through the neighbors house, and stopped in a third house. So basically went through a minimum of 4 exterior walls. You never know...

This is exactly why so many kids die. Edited by Tigerpaw