Looking for a mechanic, East Suburbs of Cleveland

IanMe

So on this bike, this overfill diaphragm will send gas back into the tank if the carbs become filled up with gas. The old one was falling apart, and it was leaking like a sieve. Once I replaced it, the overfill wasn't leaking anymore.

Is the the diaphragm that you replace behind the cover at 55seconds on the video? That is the vacuum shut off for the fuel. Not an overfill do hickey. If that is what you changed then you would have had to have turned off the petcock so gas did not run out when you removed the hose. Unless of course the tank was empty or petcock plugged. Pull that hose with petcock off then turn it on using a catch can of sort and see if gas comes out. If yes your good. If no your problem is between the hose and the tank cavity. See the hose on the other side off the one you pulled off at 140? That should also be the fuel out to the carbs. Pull it off and stick a rag under it or better yet a piece of hose going to a catch can. Reinstall first hose. Turn on the petcock. No gas should be coming out of the do hickey. If yes...do hickey problem. The other small hose on the so called over fill do hickey is a vacuum hose. Pull it off the carb,inspect and make sure it is in good condition. With it attached to the do hickey.....suck hard on the other end. Gas should now be flowing into catch can. If yes...good. If no...do hickey problem. All this is nothing but a shot in the dark diagnosis. It took me longer to type this than it would have to perform the actual test. Also what IP said to check.

Edited by Al Z. Heimer

But the bike also quit running....so my guess is that its not getting gas....like maybe you accidentally swapped the feed and return lines when you installed the new part? Did you ever crack open the bowl drains to see if it's getting gas?

I am pulling the carb out to see if there is some gas in there shortly, I needed a break and wanted to check out the super bowl. I might have done that, swapped a line somewhere and didn't realize it. I also need to find a better service manual for this bike than the one that I am using currently. 

How was the motorcycle show? 

Does it have a vacuum actuated petcock? Make sure your fuel lines are installed correctly to the petcock. It sounds like you just flubbed a line, somewhere. That or a line is kinked under the tank?

I don't think this one has a vacuum actuated petcock, but I will check, I can't be sure. So there is only one line that goes into the tank, and the others are for the carbs and the overfill diaphragm. 

Is the the diaphragm that you replace behind the cover at 55seconds on the video? That is the vacuum shut off for the fuel. Not an overfill do hickey. If that is what you changed then you would have had to have turned off the petcock so gas did not run out when you removed the hose. Unless of course the tank was empty or petcock plugged. Pull that hose with petcock off then turn it on using a catch can of sort and see if gas comes out. If yes your good. If no your problem is between the hose and the tank cavity. See the hose on the other side off the one you pulled off at 140? That should also be the fuel out to the carbs. Pull it off and stick a rag under it or better yet a piece of hose going to a catch can. Reinstall first hose. Turn on the petcock. No gas should be coming out of the do hickey. If yes...do hickey problem. The other small hose on the so called over fill do hickey is a vacuum hose. Pull it off the carb,inspect and make sure it is in good condition. With it attached to the do hickey.....suck hard on the other end. Gas should now be flowing into catch can. If yes...good. If no...do hickey problem. All this is nothing but a shot in the dark diagnosis. It took me longer to type this than it would have to perform the actual test. Also what IP said to check.

Yes! That is the diaphragm that was replaced. I turned off the petcock, but the tank wasn't so empty at the time. I will check this out, because i think that's where the problem is happening. 

you shouldn't need to remove the carbs to crack the bowl drains. That is definitely a vacuum petcock and not an overfill diaphragm. ..

How much experience do you have working on bikes?

Not a whole lot on motorcycles...more on cars 

Different animals. I would try and find a diagram that shows your hose routing and make sure everything is right. There should be a fuel line to the carburetors and a vacuum line that plugs onto either the engine side of the carb or somewhere on the intake. if it ran ok before you swapped the petcock then you made a mistake somewhere in there.