Dynotune shop that will tune carbs

max power

Some of you who I met at the Dyno day may remember that my Vmax is running "way" rich. I Have been battling this issue with the help of some somewhat knowledgeable friends since, but to no avail. Does anyone know of a good shop that will work on carbs and has a dynometer that will check their work without charging extra to check their work? Anyone BUT Bikes2NV. You will see a full write up on my experience with them when this is all over. If not, does anyone here have any experience with setting up a carb bike with an aftermarket full exhaust? B2NV didn't even have the mix screws set the same, nor did they sync the carbs. Also, does anyone know how to get browning off of stainless? Any advice is appreciated.

That's the only thing stopping me from putting an after market exhaust on my Max. Don't want to have to get the thing re-synced. Too much hassle. If you find the answer to this one, I'd be interested in learning about the place. I'd like to get some louder pipes, but don't want to have to cut off my leg and give it to them as payment.

Thiel's Wheels in Upper Sandusky has a tuner there named John Miller. Builds all their Harley Drag bike stuff and has extensive knowledge on bikes like the VMax. They can dial that thing in easily as i remember we always did a bunch of drag racing Max bikes...

They have two dynos...

Hey Brian, I may end up taking you up on that offer. My prob is thta I don't really know enough about the carbs yet, though I'm learning fast.

I need a shop in or around Columbus if anyone knows of one.

I need to get back on the road soon.:cry:

Some of you who I met at the Dyno day may remember that my Vmax is running "way" rich. I Have been battling this issue with the help of some somewhat knowledgeable friends since, but to no avail. Does anyone know of a good shop that will work on carbs and has a dynometer that will check their work without charging extra to check their work? Anyone BUT Bikes2NV. You will see a full write up on my experience with them when this is all over. If not, does anyone here have any experience with setting up a carb bike with an aftermarket full exhaust? B2NV didn't even have the mix screws set the same, nor did they sync the carbs. Also, does anyone know how to get browning off of stainless? Any advice is appreciated.

What was your a/f at the dyno day and what size jets are you running currently?

Get me this info, and I'll tell you what jets you need roughly. Then we can put them in for ya. You live close to me. Jets are cake.

Then we'll go to Brian and get it dynoed again to double check and make final adjustments.

What was your a/f at the dyno day and what size jets are you running currently?

Get me this info, and I'll tell you what jets you need roughly. Then we can put them in for ya. You live close to me. Jets are cake.

Then we'll go to Brian and get it dynoed again to double check and make final adjustments.

That would be awesome. The a/f dove from around 14 straight to around 10. (sheet is in garage with jet kit) Brian said it should stay at about 13?

The jets in it now are 170. I also have 165 and 160. The mix screws are at 2 1/4 turn. Instructions say 2 1/2, but we were trying to lean it out a bit.

Anyone know how to get "browning" off of stainless? :confused:

Hey Satan,

when would be a good time to tinker with my carbs?

I'm dying to get this thing squared up and get her back on the road. :burnout:

I've got beeeer.

What all is done to the bike? After market air filter? Exhaust? Etc...

Do you have Mikuni or Dynojet jets? I'm guessing Dynojet.

If you have the Dynojet jets, aftermarket air filter and exhaust, then I'm going to say we should put the 160s back in and go from there. Once we get the right main jet, then we can worry about idle and midrange. Without the right main jet in there, screwing with those are pointless.

I can probably tinker with it this weekend, but I'm not 100%. My wife caught the flu from me (oops), so she's at home ill. I'll have to check with her and make sure its okay. PM me your number.

OK, so after many promises of expert consultation, and no materialization, I couldn't stand the waiting anymore and dove headfirst into my carbs.

Getting to the main jets appears to be a pain in the ass, (removing carb rack from engine) so I started with the needle jets. The clowns at Bikes2LaughAt had set up the carbs per Dynojets instructions (biggest F-in jet in the kit (170) and new needle jet set on 3rd ring from the top). I obviously need an assload more air, so I set it on the top ring and reassembled, changed the plugs, and rode it last night. It seemed to run a lot better and I didn't smell that sweet gas smell that was previously getting me high at every stop. It didnt stumble between 4 and 6K like it had been before either. I still think its rich, but Im going out to check the plugs here soon and will know for sure. If that didn't do it, I will have to drop a jet size and reset the needle jets. Ugh. Wish me luck. :mad:

BTW, for those interested, I have a Dynojet kit (170 main) K&N in the stock airbox and Full Hindle 4 into 1 exhaust.

Rode 200 mi. Yesterday around Hocking Hills and the McArthur area.:sheepfucker:

Checked the plugs today and they looked real good. slightly tan, not wet. A little whitish on the back of the electrode (hook part?) all in all good. And the bike didn't run out of gas at 80 miles, it went its customary 100. Power felt real good over all, but I'm not sure how good its supposed to be since I haven't ridden it running correctly since last season. So, time to see DynoBrian?

The best heavy duty metal polish that i have found!!!

nevrdull.com ... wallyworld in the automotive section and maybe meijer too. takes off everything!!even baked on plastic tarp from my exhaust (not my fault). Just be patient and it will take off anything.

The best heavy duty metal polish that i have found!!!

nevrdull.com ... wallyworld in the automotive section and maybe meijer too. takes off everything!!even baked on plastic tarp from my exhaust (not my fault). Just be patient and it will take off anything.

Tried it. Its great for getting tar off, but doesn't take off the "browning".

OK, so after many promises of expert consultation, and no materialization, I couldn't stand the waiting anymore and dove headfirst into my carbs.

BTW, Satan, this was not aimed at you. Several of my gearhead friends promised to help and dissappeared when I put out the call. I know that CBRGirl was sick that weekend and I hope she is feeling better.

So, we cool, YES?

simple green worked for the browing on my bike.

also is there a place that i can do a dyno run to get some starting numbers? anyone know of another dyno day coming up? would the guy who sponsored it be able to do a run or two for a member cheap? or some contact information (phone number, address, etc) would be great as well

looking to start engine modding as that is the only thing left to dive into...

simple green worked for the browing on my bike.

also is there a place that i can do a dyno run to get some starting numbers? anyone know of another dyno day coming up? would the guy who sponsored it be able to do a run or two for a member cheap? or some contact information (phone number, address, etc) would be great as well

looking to start engine modding as that is the only thing left to dive into...

send a PM to DTM Brian. He doesn't tune carbs though, only EFI. If you have the skills, he will dyno it and let you change things there at the shop and re run it. Hes a good dude.