Buckeye Lake dam failing

ReconRat

This is interesting. Army Corp of Engineers says could fail at any moment.

They want to drain it to low levels and get rid of it all together.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/03/11/Buckeye-Lake-dam-recommendations.html

edit: apparently Ohio did not close the flood gates on March 1 like they normally do. Keeping the levels low. Residents haven't received dock fees this year. Re-construction (if decided) would take 3 to 5 years and be an economic disaster for the local area.

Edited by ReconRat

This will kill the already dismal economy in that area but they need to do something. Last 5 or so times i have taken my boat out there the people with me (and myself) wont even get in the water. Hard to have fun with a boat out there when all you do is drive around the pond ten times get bored and call it a day.

When they drained Lake Milton the houses and property went dirt cheap after they fixed the dam and refilled it they were selling for 20 times what they were bought for. Keep and Eye on that.

I wonder if a private party could fund the dam and stimulate that process after making some calculated real estate purchases.  It would have to be done with the State's blessing, since it's being build on public property, but if they're looking for a new dam, and the property owners are looking to increase the value of their land, it would seem to be win/win.

This will kill the already dismal economy in that area but they need to do something. Last 5 or so times i have taken my boat out there the people with me (and myself) wont even get in the water. Hard to have fun with a boat out there when all you do is drive around the pond ten times get bored and call it a day.

I agree about killing the local economy, however repairing the dam is not going to improve water quality. Lake water quality is primarily due to upstream and shoreline conditions in addition to lake depth. Since the tributaries will still be draining a fairly small area of mostly agriculture the problems will remain.

Seems the dam problem is caused mostly by bad decisions about development. The reason for the lake no longer exists and it seems to be of poor health. Maybe it is best to return the stream to its natural flow. Compensating residents and businesses for loss in property values and incomes would be the biggest barricade. 

Craig

I wonder if a private party could fund the dam and stimulate that process after making some calculated real estate purchases. It would have to be done with the State's blessing, since it's being build on public property, but if they're looking for a new dam, and the property owners are looking to increase the value of their land, it would seem to be win/win.

Waterway of the United States gives the Army Corps of Engineers authority for approval of another Dam. This would become a beaurocratic mess. We are working on some dam spillway improvements for CBus, and we got shutdown just before starting work. They forgot to get the plans approved by ODNR and Army Corps prior to bid. We have been shutdown for months.

Or carve out a new deeper lake that's worthy, and dump the soil into nice new home lots on water-front canals.

Waiting for conservationists to scream about the cranberry bog....

• Upvote 1

I agree about killing the local economy, however repairing the dam is not going to improve water quality. Lake water quality is primarily due to upstream and shoreline conditions in addition to lake depth. Since the tributaries will still be draining a fairly small area of mostly agriculture the problems will remain.

Seems the dam problem is caused mostly by bad decisions about development. The reason for the lake no longer exists and it seems to be of poor health. Maybe it is best to return the stream to its natural flow. Compensating residents and businesses for loss in property values and incomes would be the biggest barricade. 

Craig

Watched a good show about taking dam's out across america on Netflix. Was a interesting documentary. 

Watched a good show about taking dam's out across america on Netflix. Was a interesting documentary. 

Can you give me the title?  I am fascinated with dams, always have been.  When I was studying in China we saw one of their mega dams up close on a tour boat on the way to a Buddhist monastery and I wanted to get closer, until I realized that the current would suck us in in about 10 seconds.  Was nuts/ 

No compensation. It's a risk you take when you cram houses inches from one another and pay huge dollars for your mosquito-bogg view.

The Libertarian in me agrees 100%, but that is not how things work in the US.

Property owners around the lake will sue, and it is going to cost the state law fees at the minimum in compensation. Probably going to be costly law suits just because they kept the flood gates open this spring. There is no cheap way out of the mess at this point.

My guess is that some temporary fix will be employed that maintains the lake. Then that temporary fix will end up be permanent until it reaches crisis level again. :(

Craig

The Libertarian in me agrees 100%, but that is not how things work in the US.

Property owners around the lake will sue, and it is going to cost the state law fees at the minimum in compensation. Probably going to be costly law suits just because they kept the flood gates open this spring. There is no cheap way out of the mess at this point.

My guess is that some temporary fix will be employed that maintains the lake. Then that temporary fix will end up be permanent until it reaches crisis level again. :(

Craig

+1 to all of that

Can you give me the title?  I am fascinated with dams, always have been.  When I was studying in China we saw one of their mega dams up close on a tour boat on the way to a Buddhist monastery and I wanted to get closer, until I realized that the current would suck us in in about 10 seconds.  Was nuts/ 

Damnation

I can't help but wonder if someone high up is pulling strings to

make the land available for development at a later date and

structuring a deal to buy the land at a very discounted rate once

the lake is drained.  Just a thought.  I don't trust anything the

government tries to get us to believe.

the lake is drained.  Just a thought.  I don't trust anything the

Don't you work for the government? ;)

I actually feel for the homeowners in that situation. I'm sure most bought in without any knowledge of the situation.

As to the lawsuits and stuff, I would bet that's why the ACofE was brought in. It would be kind of hard to argue with their take - especially if they have no skin in the game.

the lake is drained. Just a thought. I don't trust anything the

Isn't this the plot of Chinatown? Lol

• 4 weeks later...