Can't Reach Oil Drain Plug

franklyfresh

I ride a Ducati 800 Supersport that uses a 10mm hex bit to loosen the oil drain plug. I just bought this bike and need to change the oil, however the pipes are right under the drain plug and there is only a ~1-inch clearance between the drain plug and the exhaust. None of my socket wrenches will fit, let alone with a 10mm hex bit attached. I tried using a 10mm allen wrench but that didn't clear the pipes either.

Anybody have any ideas on how I can get this dammed drain plug out? 

Drain%20Plug_zpsgegakbea.jpg 

that would generally been helpful information :p that being said it might be more work but I would remove the exhaust system.. (you have to drop the mufflers on the panigale as well ) then change the oil correctly before breaking out the vice grips..   then replace the plug with the plug pauly suggested  to make it easier next time

that would generally been helpful information :p that being said it might be more work but I would remove the exhaust system.. (you have to drop the mufflers on the panigale as well ) then change the oil correctly before breaking out the vice grips..   then replace the plug with the plug pauly suggested  to make it easier next time

That head pipe is OEM. Your mufflers may not be, but that doesn't affect the plug clearance.

Alright, I'll head over to the hardware store and see if they have anything that will let me get the 10mm socket in and clear the pipes. Hopefully it is as simple as that but it is a tight fit.

I also just placed an order for the replacement plug thanks Isaac's Papa.

20150412_124847_zpscmgy0nf6.jpg

Some of the 10mm hex sockets will let the 10mm hex bar slip out. Held in by a set screw. It's short and should fit. Then turn it with a box end 6 point wrench. Just a possibility...

Edited by ReconRat

Nothing at Home Depot or Lowes would clear the pipes. This was the closest I got: 

20150412_162043_zpsnjve3thb.jpg

Vise grips are up next...

Some of the 10mm hex sockets will let the 10mm hex bar slip out. Held in by a set screw. It's short and should fit. Then turn it with a box end 6 point wrench. Just a possibility...

I'm going to try to pull out the 10mm hex. But I think the drain plug is stripped too much already.

get a short 10mm hex head bolt, put on two nuts locked together use a crescent wrench 

hey I like that one. That would be an M6 thread, I suppose. That would work quite well and low cost and quick.