lettuce discuss batteries

Gixxus Christ!

Deka is good equip, my Dad's going on 12 years on one in his Wing. Battery Tender over the winter to negate the bike's natural parasitic draw. We sell big group 31 batteries at work and all are glass mat. Pokey's right about heat affecting batteries more than cold, including agm versions.

Sam, I thought Yuasa carried a decent warranty - a year old battery failure isn't warrantable?

Stay away from Lithium, im sure they are great for the track to save weight but street applications i have hear nothing but problems.

Don't know about that.  I put a Shorai in my Ducati back in 2012 and it is doing great so far.  Only problem I have ever seen was hard cranking when it gets to the mid 30's or colder but if you leave the headlight on for a few minutes it warms the battery up and it has never left me stranded.  There are too many cheap brands that are being manufactered from C or D-cell lithiums designed to be put in screw gun battery packs that just suck.  Get a better brand with a balance charging port with a proper cell balancing charger and you shouldn't have issues.

I can't show a list without repeating a lot of internet research, but... I noticed that many lesser brands of batteries are also made by Yuasa with another name on it by marketing or contract. Add in the official and unofficial copies by other countries, and I would say most are all Yuasa by design. Apparently Yuasa knows what they are doing.

I don't particularly care for the premium price of a Yuasa. I don't think it's always necessary to go there.

And only one year on a Yuasa is not right. Something was very wrong with that.

I have a Bikemaster in the Triumph. I think I had Bikemasters in my previous CBR's as well. Always kept on a tender during the winter and when it's cold out. Summer I ride almost every day so I don't think it's needed.

I did have to replace the Trumpet's battery at the end of last season, I blame that on the previous owner though. Just like my filthy air filter lol.

I can't show a list without repeating a lot of internet research, but... I noticed that many lesser brands of batteries are also made by Yuasa with another name on it by marketing or contract. Add in the official and unofficial copies by other countries, and I would say most are all Yuasa by design. Apparently Yuasa knows what they are doing.

I don't particularly care for the premium price of a Yuasa. I don't think it's always necessary to go there.

And only one year on a Yuasa is not right. Something was very wrong with that.

I don't see anything wrong with the warranty.  It is a power sport battery, as you have can see with this thread, there are all kinds of opinions and misinformation with regard to maintaining and properly storing a battery.  Would hazard a guess that 70% of the batteries sold each year fail within 1.5 years, because of improper charging (to much amperage), not charging when putting into service, or left with a parasitic draw for months on end with no recharge.  They would go out of business if they covered every battery for 2-3 years.  Just do not see how a company should be left holding the bag for end user ignorance.

I put a cheap Walmart battery in my bike in 2010 in their parking lot without charging it. Installed it, dumped the acid in it and rolled. It's still going strong. I use a battery tender Junior whenever I'm not riding.

I don't see anything wrong with the warranty.  It is a power sport battery, as you have can see with this thread, there are all kinds of opinions and misinformation with regard to maintaining and properly storing a battery.  Would hazard a guess that 70% of the batteries sold each year fail within 1.5 years, because of improper charging (to much amperage), not charging when putting into service, or left with a parasitic draw for months on end with no recharge.  They would go out of business if they covered every battery for 2-3 years.  Just do not see how a company should be left holding the bag for end user ignorance.

True, but I'm not zeroing in on the battery itself, just the circumstance. Although I've seen defective batteries do exactly that, fail in the first 6 to 12 months.

Shorai here too. Its subframe was rear ended and shoved into the engine block in an SV. It kept going in a VFR which had a bad stator replaced the stator and kept running.

They actually crank harder and harder when it's cold as cranking warms them up. I left it for a month in the cold and was only idled the previous start, and cranked it so much I was weary of burning up the starter (so close) put it on a charger and right back tip top. 

Went with the bike master gel cell. Gonna buy a tender as well.

Good move on the battery tender. Like I stated before, I had the original OEM battery in my last bike before I wrecked it, so that is 9 years on one battery. I plug it in all winter and after every ride.

Just replace the original Yuasa in my 07 Triumph because it seemed to be losing its "umph" below 40F. I went with a LiFePo from AdvancedAuto. So far so good, cranks better than ever and weighs next to nothing.

Just needs to be a 'smart' charger that senses voltage.

How's your bike going to know? We deal industrial gels at work and the chargers require a quick setting change when it's gel.

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/frequently-asked-questions/powersports-batteries-faq/does-my-motorcycle-have-a-gel-cell-battery.html

Hmm, didn't consider that but I'd have to look up the amperage output of my vrr on the bandit. I did order a true gel battery tender as well. Now that I think about it, as long as my battery is full, the power that doesn't go to the lights, gauges, ignition etc will just go to ground anyway so as long as my battery remains well charged the bike won't be charging it so much as just floating it while running...unless I got that wrong.