2015 Nelson Ledges improvements

redkow97

Has anyone gone up to lend a hand with the tire walls?  I just saw the pictures posted on facebook, and I am super impressed with everything that has been cleaned up, demolished, and otherwise "upgraded" since the last time I was at the track.

Trying to figure out what else has been done, and what else is planned.

No, they are removing as many as possible.

As for future improvements, paved/gravel throughout the pits so no more parking in wet grass to get suck, garages, electric for rent. This is a short list of everything that they want to get done. They also hope to repave sections of the track vs random paving of spots.

I only asked because I don't recall ever paying a gate fee for anything at Nelson Ledges except the WERA races.

When the facilities justify the cost, I have no problem dropping $10 to help fund things like power, bathrooms, showers, less mud to get stuck in, etc.

It's really great to see that there are some significant changes happening.  I know a full repave and making the track 8' wider will probably never happen, but giving people fewer things to bitch about can only help.

A hot shower and a shitter stall that a grown adult can actually fit in goes a long way.

Did Mario Andretti finally buy it?? (That was the rumor in the late '90s).  

Nelson was my first experience on a racetrack.  1994 because I got a free Suzuki track school day for buying my '93 GSXR.   It was the same weekend that they were running the final 24 hour endurance there.  I didn't realize how insane that was at the time.  I remember the toilet house which was a long hole in the ground with a sheet of wood on top which had holes cut into it and toilet seats bolted on.   

Next visit there was for a track day a few years later.  By that time I had been to Putnam, Gingerman, Grattan, etc and had a different perspective on track facilities.   My memory from that visit was running clockwise and going down the short chute between T2 and T3 (I think thats right) before the first left hander.   Large orange circle painted just left of center of the middle of the track, right on "the line".  "Whats that??".  Oh holy hell, its a pothole that could swallow the bike.   Took the rest of the lap very cautiously just in case.  Seems that there was another biggggg pothole on the other side of the track, somewhere in that weird carousel area.   

Ahhhh, good memories.  Goood memories. 

I only asked because I don't recall ever paying a gate fee for anything at Nelson Ledges except the WERA races.

When the facilities justify the cost, I have no problem dropping $10 to help fund things like power, bathrooms, showers, less mud to get stuck in, etc.

It's really great to see that there are some significant changes happening.  I know a full repave and making the track 8' wider will probably never happen, but giving people fewer things to bitch about can only help.

A hot shower and a shitter stall that a grown adult can actually fit in goes a long way.

There are places that the track can't be widened 8' and I don't really think it's needed. I don't hear people bitching that they want 8' added to the width of Beaverun. A repave will be done if the funds keep coming in and with the pavement progress that has been made to eliminate the yearly potholes I think it will be doable.

As for the restrooms, I have no clue what is being done. They were working on them when I was there but I did't get to look in them.

FWIW, theres a dirt track we race at in Wauseon OH called Oakshade.  It makes Nelsons facilities look like COTA.  I kid you not.  Last year, there wasn't even a light bulb in the building that had the plywood toilets.  I kid you not.

They don't even have running water.  They have a hose on a spicket to wash your hands.  BUT the track is AWESOME and they have the largest weekly car counts in the nation of Late Models. 

Anyways, as for Nelson, my parents went there to race in the glory days and camped, raced, and partied like Woodstock from what I hear.  Place is magical no matter how much of a dump it is.

Honestly, I would/will miss all the outbuildings that were once toilets or whatever.  I loved seeing them when I would pull up to race. 

Since I discovered Nelson practically in my back yard and having gone several times to spectate and do a few track days myself since 2012, they have been charging the $10 gate fee to spectate.  Don't mind paying it if as long as it goes back to the improvements.  Todd and Motoseries are committed to making it a much better track.  Would hate to see it waste away to nothing.  It definitely has history with Paul Newman racing there back when.  A lot of improvements have been made in terms of just someone caring about the conditions to trying to fix it.  Keep up the good work guys.

I do, I also probably should have donated to repair some tire marks through the wooden fence when we got there too late one Friday and just had to move a few fence pieces and then replace.  It was super soggy that weekend but I made sure to drive easy and not tear crap up.

I know Todd was looking for "that guy".