PSA..Spring Clean Up

Al Z. Heimer

So folks if you have not given your dryer venting system a good cleaning now would be a good time. Spent all night at Daughters house because of a dryer fire. Lint is flammable as heck. Another thought is to trash that plastic vent hose. Dryer heat won't melt it but fire will. Once it burns thru you basically have a blast furnace. The fire house was about a mile away and she heard the sirens before she even hung up the phone. Floor joists were on fire and flames were heading up the stairs. Country living with a 15+ minute respond time and house would have been toast. Not preaching. Just some thing to think about.

Doesn't that throw a lot of lint and moisture into the air?

Womans panyhose over the outlet catches 75% of the extra lint.  In my house I need to run a humidifier all winter so the extra moisture doesn't affect anything.  Haven't done it at my new house but I have n the past.  Suplemental heat and all.

Womans panyhose over the outlet catches 75% of the extra lint. In my house I need to run a humidifier all winter so the extra moisture doesn't affect anything. Haven't done it at my new house but I have n the past. Suplemental heat and all.

Strikes me as a very bad idea.

Doesn't that throw a lot of lint and moisture into the air?

Our house is all electric with no heat pump. In the winter, my bill gets pretty insane. In order to try and save some of the heat that's wasted by being thrown outside, my husband and I made a filter box using a large (23" x 16") tupperware container. We cut a hole in the lid and sealed a large air return filter in place. We hook it up to our dryer every winter. The moisture is good; it acts as a humidifier which helps to retain heat. (they sell a box for a similar purpose at hardward stores, but our design is more robust, and less likely of building backpressure into the dryer).