Yamaha generators on Woot

Casper

It's not quiet, but that's easy to fix. Just need to make a few adapters and I'll run the stock muffler from my bandit on it.

for home use, it's not terribly difficult to build a sound barrier either.  I try to be careful about prohibiting air-flow through the frame, but I lean a sheet of plywood up against my generator to block the sound from traveling directly into my neighbors' windows...

We have a pretty good situation where I can put the generator near the house on our (covered) back porch, and then just run the cord through the ground-level window with a  towel shoved in to keep a decent air-seal.

How about a genny for track days?  I am looking for one now.  Quieter is better, so you don't piss off your fellow riders.  Any suggestions?

There's a bunch of these on Craigslist - somebody probably bought out some surplus.  Not sure if they're any good.

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/5006414056.html

for home use, it's not terribly difficult to build a sound barrier either. I try to be careful about prohibiting air-flow through the frame, but I lean a sheet of plywood up against my generator to block the sound from traveling directly into my neighbors' windows...

We have a pretty good situation where I can put the generator near the house on our (covered) back porch, and then just run the cord through the ground-level window with a towel shoved in to keep a decent air-seal.

Where I have to run mine (because of where the back feed box is) there is my house on one side, a solid privacy fence on the other and my garage on the other. The one side that's open there at least 75 feet before there's a house. I don't exactly care if my neighbors don't like the noise, and they won't care when I'm letting them charge their phones from my generator.

• Upvote 1

Where I have to run mine (because of where the back feed box is) there is my house on one side, a solid privacy fence on the other and my garage on the other. The one side that's open there at least 75 feet before there's a house. I don't exactly care if my neighbors don't like the noise, and they won't care when I'm letting them charge their phones from my generator.

Exactly, I ain't trying to be the silent type if my power is out, theirs is out, and so is everyone else's, and I am the only one with a generator.  When they come asking to borrow it or run a cord, sure, but don't cry when my stuff is "loud".

FWIW, I along with so many people here have the Champion 3500 and it's not loud.  I don't care what anyone says on any forum or anything.  25 ft extension cord and you will never miss a race call, never miss any announcement, or have any issue talking to someone 10 feet away. 

We had a 5500 HF one that was loud but wasn't an issue for camping and putting it between 2 trucks forming sound barriers.

I have the Champion 2000ish invertor from Costco/Sams and it's quite as can be and super solid and was 499 out the door.  Which is about normal for that unit and it can be run in parallel.  I would much rather get 2 of those plus the kit for the price of 1 yammaha, but that's just me. 

Then again, generator opinions are like A holes, everyone has one. 

How about a genny for track days?  I am looking for one now.  Quieter is better, so you don't piss off your fellow riders.  Any suggestions?

There's a bunch of these on Craigslist - somebody probably bought out some surplus.  Not sure if they're any good.

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/5006414056.html

Just go to TSC and get the Champion for 299 and be done with it.  Actually I think they sell them for 279 new now, which is a STEAL! 

Champion 3.5/4kw and a long heavy extension cord.....$275

:easy_button:

I looked at the budget inverter generators when I picked mine up, could't justify the price difference for my use (track).  Park the generator in front of the car and pit off the rear of the trailer.

Those are the best prices I have seen on Yamaha generators. 

Less expensive then I have ever seen a Honda. And just as good IMO.

If I was in the market for a  track day genny, I would try that EF2600. 

But I already have a Polaris 2000. 

Info Plz. Need one.

You have propane or NG at the new place?  Grab a dual fuel or propane conversion if you have access, I would imagine its propane out there.  Run a T and long hose 25' on Ebay/Amazon, and done.  Power everything.  Way cheaper than a "whole house" setup.

That's what my uncle did, but his is NG tapped into their house line, left outside full time and plugged in full time.  Transfer switch in basement runs all the big stuff and select plugs/lights.  Granted this is like a 4,000 sqft house so the "big" things are really big lol.

Also; This is what Bowdogs electrician bubby told me to get when I want to do mine;  http://www.interlockkit.com/squareDmain01.htm

Edited by madcat6183

Those interlock kits are handy but expensive. I just wired a 240v 30 amp breaker into my panel and ran it to a box with a male 240 twist lock inside and keep the breaker off. Power goes out, I wheel out my genny, feed the cord I made through the basement window, kill main breaker and all house breakers, plug genny into box, turn on genny breaker and start her up, turn on the breakers I need to run my house.

Those interlock kits are handy but expensive. I just wired a 240v 30 amp breaker into my panel and ran it to a box with a male 240 twist lock inside and keep the breaker off. Power goes out, I wheel out my genny, feed the cord I made through the basement window, kill main breaker and all house breakers, plug genny into box, turn on genny breaker and start her up, turn on the breakers I need to run my house.

Yeah, my fear is me not being home and the wife blowing stuff up or killing a lineman. 

They are much cheaper on Ebay, I think like 50-75 bux shipped.  I could just build it myself I guess, I mean it's a simple piece that your paying for basically, I think I will do that instead. 

What you did is what my uncle did, but his wife is much alert to that kinda thing compared to mine lol. 

FWIW, I along with so many people here have the Champion 3500 and it's not loud.  I don't care what anyone says on any forum or anything.  25 ft extension cord and you will never miss a race call, never miss any announcement, or have any issue talking to someone 10 feet away. 

This might be true if you have the space to put them 25 ft away with an extension cord.  But when you have 3 or 4 guys all parked next to each other at a track all running 3500/4000 Champion gennies, you will have a hard time hearing calls and such.  I know this for a fact...just sayin'.  They're not crazy loud but they certainly aren't quiet especially when they gang up with one another at the track...alone they can be tolerable.

I personally bought a Yamaha 6300ise and fucking love the thing.  It's not as quiet as say a 3000is but my needs were different as I have to power up a toy hauler and it doubles as a home backup genny.

Funny story...was at a PIRC race weekend last year and Don was pitted right next to us with some obnoxious little 1000 genny.  After one night of hearing it run I told him to not fire that fucker up again and just plug into mine.

IMO...buy the best you can afford but buy appropriately based on your use.  I like my champion 3500/4000 but I love my Yamaha 6300ise.

Edited by r1crusher