MSF Basic course

mango_sv

So I took the Basic Rider course this weekend with my Fiancé. I've never taken it, so I went to support her and know what she went thru. I have to say, the class is a joke. I will never again suggest it to anyone. Of the 11 students, 4 were actually "beginners" that should have been there. 1 guy was bragging about having 40 yrs of riding experience and was just doing it for a license. That's how most the guys on the class were. 40 and 50 somethings that have been riding without a license or couldn't pass the road course. The instructors were a joke. Both yelled at everyone who forgot to start or shutdown a bike by the book, but proceeded to forget to turn the gas on in 1 demo each. The bikes were horrible. All had chains rusted to shit, adjusted to completely in, slapping the swingarms. Clutches were toast, slipping, and out of adjustment. Some bikes were missing and bucking and had to be revved to keep them running. But the biggest thing was the way the class ran. If you had a hard time with an exercise, too bad, moving on!!!! No stopping to help those that needed it. Just rush thru so we can leave an hr early......

It's ok for a complete noob...never rode or needs very basic skills, but I do not agree with some of what they teach. To completely honest, a track day with instruction would be the best way to teach people motorcycle dynamics.

I kind of disagree. I guess it just depends on what classes are available locally.   I hadn't ridden a bike in about 20 years and then it was just goofing off on a friend's bike for a few minutes.  The class helped to get my confidence level up before I bought my own bike.  It was less scary when I was worrying about dropping somebody else's bike that had crash guards installed.  No complaint about my instructors and the bikes were literally brand new.   I may have a different opinion if I had taken the $50 class at the community college.

I do think that a low speed track day would do me a world of good now that I have a few miles under my belt.

My thoughts too, but my Fiancé is a complete noob. What pissed me off was the way the class catered to those that were already experienced. Not to the actual BASIC riders. It's was like, "Let's get this over so you can pass the skills test and have your certificate." If you want your license, go take your road course at the license branch or take the returning rider course.

I kind of disagree. I guess it just depends on what classes are available locally. I hadn't ridden a bike in about 20 years and then it was just goofing off on a friend's bike for a few minutes. The class helped to get my confidence level up before I bought my own bike. It was less scary when I was worrying about dropping somebody else's bike that had crash guards installed. No complaint about my instructors and the bikes were literally brand new. I may have a different opinion if I had taken the $50 class at the community college.

I do think that a low speed track day would do me a world of good now that I have a few miles under my belt.

And like you, that was 1 of the 4 that should have been in the course. There was a 50 somethings woman that had not ridden in 20 some years. She needed the class. The guys showing up daily on ape hanger cruisers had no business in the class. I had no business in the class other than for my Fiancé.

You got crap instructors. Mine was run for beginners, I was not a beginner but was getting back on after a few years off. Didn't matter what your level was when you walked in..we were all beginners and we were all treated that way and we waited until the 'real' beginners were good to go on a subject/exercise before we all moved on. They were in charge and strict but there was no yelling. And anyone that thought they were superstars got a private chat to fix that.  And that is how I understand they are supposed to be run.

I hope there was a review/feedback form so you could tell them they suck.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 2

I'm with Tonik. Took the class 6 years ago with my wife when I started riding again. We took it in C-Bus at the ODPS on Broad street. Good instructors and class was well run but some of the bikes were a bit worn out.

Took the ERC a couple years later and that was not as good but okay.

Give 'em some feedback on it and hopefully it'll get addressed. Those guys get paid plus they get to write off gear and stuff for taxes, so they need to do it right.

Edited by DAC

I gave them feedback in the form of a long email. The 2 instructors had never worked together and kept arguing over exercises and when demos should be done and how they should be explained. It was sad. I honestly wish I would have had my GoPros with me but didn't want the future wifey to be more nervous.

As an MSF instructor who works for Motorcycle Ohio, I am disturbed to hear of this experience.  The MO program works hard to provide high quality instruction for motorcyclists of varying abilities.  The course satisfaction surveys are reviewed to identify areas of improvement.  Instructors are evaluated on a regular basis.  If there is an issue, I recommend you call the Motorcycle Ohio office.  What was the date and location of the BRC class?

I'm disappointed to hear this and am sorry it sucked so badly for you, Mango_SV.  It's not what I experienced with my MSF or the two ARC classes I did - they were all great, and taught by experienced and informative instructors.  I hope it doesn't discourage you from pursuing additional training, and taking it slow while you build skills.  I still practice in a parking lot after I haven't been riding for a couple weeks.

I took the class as I was a beginner and had a great experience with it (better then my husband trying to teach me).  Yes the bikes are a piece of crap but what I learned I don't believe I would have learned on my own or the proper way.  There were 3 guys in the class who claimed they have rode for years and surprisingly enough 2 of them did not pass the class.  The instructors kept pointing out bad habits they had in riding and they would not listen or change.  The instructors also stayed over 1 day with me because I wanted to practice the figure 8 in the box and were very helpful with all the beginners.  I would recommend it to anyone new wanting to get their license...plus you get a discount on your insurance taking the class.

As an MSF instructor who works for Motorcycle Ohio, I am disturbed to hear of this experience. The MO program works hard to provide high quality instruction for motorcyclists of varying abilities. The course satisfaction surveys are reviewed to identify areas of improvement. Instructors are evaluated on a regular basis. If there is an issue, I recommend you call the Motorcycle Ohio office. What was the date and location of the BRC class?

The class was at Terra College in Fremont, OH last weekend. I also sent the email to Motorcycle Ohio.

I'm disappointed to hear this and am sorry it sucked so badly for you, Mango_SV. It's not what I experienced with my MSF or the two ARC classes I did - they were all great, and taught by experienced and informative instructors. I hope it doesn't discourage you from pursuing additional training, and taking it slow while you build skills. I still practice in a parking lot after I haven't been riding for a couple weeks.

Honestly, the class was pointless to me. But my Fiancé learned some and that is why we were there. It's just shitty the way they didn't help those that needed it. Just kept moving along.

Edited by mango_sv

The class was at Terra College in Fremont, OH last weekend. I also sent the email to Motorcycle Ohio.

Honestly, the class was pointless to me. But my Fiancé learned some and that is why we were there. It's just shitty the way they didn't help those that needed it. Just kept moving along.

Unfortunately you may want to do damage control with the Fiance and offer her another class somewhere else.  If you're thinking about providing that instruction, remember it's not ideal for a friend/family member to teach vehicle skills, for a variety of reasons that a budding relationship shouldn't have to bear ;-) - take it from a 10-year veteran of marriage.  The $250-350 you may have to spend will totally be worth it to bolster her individual confidence and an avoidance of arguments...

Unfortunately you may want to do damage control with the Fiance and offer her another class somewhere else. If you're thinking about providing that instruction, remember it's not ideal for a friend/family member to teach vehicle skills, for a variety of reasons that a budding relationship shouldn't have to bear ;-) - take it from a 10-year veteran of marriage. The $250-350 you may have to spend will totally be worth it to bolster her individual confidence and an avoidance of arguments...

Actually that is why we took the class, so she got outside instructions. I'm not worried about teaching her. She is very receptive to it. Sunday morning we took my FZ09 and her XR100 out in the yard and she followed me around practicing clutch control, using the rear brake to stablize, even a few emergency stops out in the road. Easy to teach and give pointers with Scala G4s. We're going to go look at a 95 Ninja 250 tomorrow for her to ride on the street so she doesn't drop the CB300F. On a side note.... got this today.099c3ad2c7d63bb11b4451bc904f757e.jpg Edited by mango_sv

I took the class as I was a beginner and had a great experience with it (better then my husband trying to teach me). Yes the bikes are a piece of crap but what I learned I don't believe I would have learned on my own or the proper way. There were 3 guys in the class who claimed they have rode for years and surprisingly enough 2 of them did not pass the class. The instructors kept pointing out bad habits they had in riding and they would not listen or change. The instructors also stayed over 1 day with me because I wanted to practice the figure 8 in the box and were very helpful with all the beginners. I would recommend it to anyone new wanting to get their license...plus you get a discount on your insurance taking the class.

That's funny, we stayed after on Sat and talked to one of the instructors about my Fiancé trying a different bike, or some 1 on 1 training. We were told that if we showed up early on Sunday, we could help try another bike and do so practice. Got there at 12:15 for the 2PM class. Morning class had released and only had 2 retest to do. We sat down and watched the retests. We then sat there and waited on an afternoon instructor. They showed up at 1 and never even spoke to us. We started the class at 1:30 when the last student showed up.

mango_sv

You really had some terrible instructors....I also took my class a few years back at Terra in Fremont.  My whole family plus 2 of my friends have taken the class there and were happy with it.  I do agree though that the bikes were a piece of crap (my Honda's clutch kept sticking) but the instructors I had were great with all of us beginners and did take the time when one of us were struggling.  The only time they got spunky or aggravated was with the 3 guys that stated they had been riding for years trying to tell them the proper way to do things.  Have to admit though even though they stayed over the one day for me to practice the figure 8 in the box I still ended up putting my one foot down and lost points on my test.  Glad you wrote a letter of complaint and received a response.