Google Drive Warning

Tonik

Ok, so I had a boatload of custom trips saved in my google drive for my nav program. Several years worth.  Apparently if google introduces a new service, like the recently revised My Maps and thinks they can do a better job with your files...

THEY CONVERT YOUR FUCKING FILES INTO THEIR USELESS FUCKING FORMAT.

Screamed at support, no way to undo it.  Just cleaned out my Drive and it is all on Box now. I have many backed up on phones and computers, but there was a bunch lost. Open the file and it is in their new My Maps, which blows dead goats. No way to export them and convert them back.

:asshat:  :asshat: :asshat: :asshat: :asshat: :asshat: :asshat:   <------Google Workforce.

I would never trust data to Google's half-baked tech children. Hard drives are stupid fucking cheap.

Just make sure you plan for a site disaster.  To many of us think we'll be good by just backing up data to an external hard disk, then we fail to rotate them off-site or into a fire vault every day.  Dropbox and Carbonite are excellent solutions in that regard, and they don't convert your files.

Just make sure you plan for a site disaster.  To many of us think we'll be good by just backing up data to an external hard disk, then we fail to rotate them off-site or into a fire vault every day.  Dropbox and Carbonite are excellent solutions in that regard, and they don't convert your files.

I have a few external HD's. I do a drive image + data backups about every week, then take the fresh backup to work with me so it's stored here. Bring last week's home to update, rinse/repeat. That leaves 3 physical copies in rotation at all times, and one very fast, convenient restore point right there waiting to unfuck things.

Even if I trusted cloud solutions (and I don't, ever), I don't like using them for large files or restores. Takes too long, ties up the connection. I use dropbox for convenience, but never rely on it and for sure don't put anything even remotely sensitive on 'em.

Edited by swingset

Ok, so I had a boatload of custom trips saved in my google drive for my nav program. Several years worth.  Apparently if google introduces a new service, like the recently revised My Maps and thinks they can do a better job with your files...

THEY CONVERT YOUR FUCKING FILES INTO THEIR USELESS FUCKING FORMAT.

Screamed at support, no way to undo it.  Just cleaned out my Drive and it is all on Box now. I have many backed up on phones and computers, but there was a bunch lost. Open the file and it is in their new My Maps, which blows dead goats. No way to export them and convert them back.

:asshat:  :asshat: :asshat: :asshat: :asshat: :asshat: :asshat:   <------Google Workforce.

What file extension are they? I thought Google My Maps could be exported to .kml format, which can be converted to .gpx and work for Garmins, TomTom, etc.