Triumph sprint

jhawk

Anyone got any opinions or knowledge on the triumph sprint 1050's? Been looking at a few 06-08 models. Anything to watch out for when buying used? Seem nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had my '06 for 10 years. I love my bike. There are several other members on here with them as well. The engine is wonderful with the torque of the triple. The biggest issues are the the suspensions needs to upgraded with heavier springs and valves up front. The brakes are known to be a bit soft. There are several fixes for that as well. I have not done anything to my brakes other than pads and fluid. The only significant mechanical issue that you need to keep an eye out for is the sprag clutch. They have been known to fail if a less than fully charged battery is on the bike and can be costly to replace. Heat from the exhaust can be an issue if you are stuck in traffic in the summer. The single pipe runs up under the seat next to your right leg. It does make those crisp spring and fall rides more enjoyable though. I would recommend triumphrat.net for more in depth research. Good luck with your search and if you have any questions let me know.

Other members with '06's: JCMathis, VF1000ride, Anden

post-10330-0-39842300-1437229174_thumb.j

Edited by cmh_sprint
  • Upvote 1

I have one too. What was stated above and the rear wheel bearing. I have heard horror stories so keep it serviced. Other than that stuff its a wonderfull bike. Very comfortable for long or short rides. 

The faster blue.

20140527_142722_zpsk1focuuz.jpg

• Upvote 1

I love my sprint. I ride alot at night and found the projector beam from the headlights wasn't great. I put aux driving lights on the front for a little more candlepower. Most of what the others have said is accurate to my experience. Comfortable on the long haul and still enough superbike thrown in to really carve a corner. Power delivery from the motor is very linear and makes a great noise under full power.

I will add what is nice about the projector lights at night. I have had people pull over for me. The way the light is ripped apart it catches mirrors just right and looks like police behind you.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Bringing this back to life... There's a 2011 Sprint GT available at Rick Roush, but they don't allow test rides on used bikes. After taking a BMW S1000XR out for a spin the other weekend, it has become the bike I want. Just not sure when/if I can afford to get it. Wondering if the Sprint would make a decent replacement? While not the dream bike, seems still good fun for some 2 up touring and solo riding.

I was surfing BMW and Duc last year, and swore my heart was set on an R1200RS or Multistrada....but their pricetags left me hesitating ( thankfully ).   Then I found a 2011 Spring GT in December, and I don't regret buying it one bit.  Saved me well over $12k in comparison, and it's an awesome bike.   It doesn't have near the electronics that the other euro's offer, but with just a few mods it will do all I ask of it.  It's quite nimble for it's weight/wheelbase, and the triple helps keep it on a narrower scale compared to it's bigger tourer competitors.  Mine has the OEM touring screen option, and it does fairly well at keeping the wind off of my helmet at speed.  The later model Sprints are supposed to have redesigned rear hubs ( iirc ) so they're less maintenance intensive there.   I believe 2011 is that last year these were available here in the US, so you wont find anything newer in the Sprint line here.

Edited by Hellmutt

Thanks Hellmutt! We rented a BMW R1200RT for a weekend last year and I wasn't fond of it all. To large and not smooth at all when comparing it to the XR. My worry is that the Sprint will be similar. Butt test at dealer seems OK, but riding is completely different...

1 hour ago, jhawk said:

Bringing this back to life... There's a 2011 Sprint GT available at Rick Roush, but they don't allow test rides on used bikes. After taking a BMW S1000XR out for a spin the other weekend, it has become the bike I want. Just not sure when/if I can afford to get it. Wondering if the Sprint would make a decent replacement? While not the dream bike, seems still good fun for some 2 up touring and solo riding.

Did you get that vibration around 5k that a lot of people are talking about? I've heard thats like the "biggest" issue found so far.

36 minutes ago, jhawk said:

Thanks Hellmutt! We rented a BMW R1200RT for a weekend last year and I wasn't fond of it all. To large and not smooth at all when comparing it to the XR. My worry is that the Sprint will be similar. Butt test at dealer seems OK, but riding is completely different...

The Sprint's pull is VERY linear, yet torquey.   That triple is a beautiful combination between an inline 4 and a twin -- best of both worlds, in my opinion

Edited by Hellmutt

I did, but my current bike is a 1988 honda hawk that buzzes at all RPMs, so wasn't really a deal breaker. Also, the only time I got them was on the highway and not exactly where I spend my time riding anyway. I have heard good results with heavier bar ends, so not a concern.

The XR seems to be one of the best choices for sport touring with BMW.  I just didn't want another I-4, so I opted to shop for a boxer or Vtwin...that's when I found the GT.  Not trying to sway you from the Bavarian bike, but I doubt you would be disappointed with the Sprint.

On Saturday, July 18, 2015 at 0:13 PM, Anden said:

I have one too. What was stated above and the rear wheel bearing. I have heard horror stories so keep it serviced. Other than that stuff its a wonderfull bike. Very comfortable for long or short rides.

The faster blue.

20140527_142722_zpsk1focuuz.jpg

Just caught the glove on your bike.  Where is that church?   I could play in a church band THERE :D

Don't have a sprint but I'll agree with Hellmutt that Triumph built one hell of an engine. The 675 pulls hard all the way up, would be interested in riding a 900+ triple to see how those are in comparison.