Attention Akron area Hooligans.

Tonik

I wonder if the fine is extra since an airplane was used.

I wonder if the fine is extra since an airplane was used.

Years ago I got tagged by a plane in my car. It was just the usual speeding fine.

Policing isn't about safety. It's about revenue. 

I think that's a common sentiment, but not as accurate as people tend to think.

Yes, police departments have to financially justify their expenses.  But traffic stops are also a pretty effective way of discovering other crimes.  Personal beliefs on controlled substances aside, traffic stops often lead to drug investigations and arrests made on outstanding warrants.

Clocking speeders is certainly not the most important part of a police officer's job, but I think patrolling IS an important function.  The alternative is to have police officers wait in the station (like the fire department) until someone calls - except EVERYONE reports fires, and a lot of criminal activity goes unreported. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, police departments have to financially justify their expenses.  But traffic stops are also a pretty effective way of discovering other crimes.  Personal beliefs on controlled substances aside, traffic stops often lead to drug investigations and arrests made on outstanding warrants.

Clocking speeders is certainly not the most important part of a police officer's job, but I think patrolling IS an important function.  The alternative is to have police officers wait in the station (like the fire department) until someone calls - except EVERYONE reports fires, and a lot of criminal activity goes unreported. 

Naw, they don't even bother to stop you anymore.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2015/08/28/youngstown-issues-1000-speeding-tickets-in-12-days-with-new-radar-guns

Yes, police departments have to financially justify their expenses. But traffic stops are also a pretty effective way of discovering other crimes. Personal beliefs on controlled substances aside, traffic stops often lead to drug investigations and arrests made on outstanding warrants.

Clocking speeders is certainly not the most important part of a police officer's job, but I think patrolling IS an important function. The alternative is to have police officers wait in the station (like the fire department) until someone calls - except EVERYONE reports fires, and a lot of criminal activity goes unreported.

Except how many of the searches are unconstitutional or the cops convince someone that if they tell them what they are hiding the courts will go easier on them?

Except how many of the searches are unconstitutional or the cops convince someone that if they tell them what they are hiding the courts will go easier on them?

First, if the search is unconstitutional then you fight that in court. Don't blame the officer for finding your illegal drugs. Blame yourself for your own bad decisions. If he somehow found them under violation of the 4th amendment, your attorney should win.

Secondly, they do go easier on them in court. I've seen cops testify on behalf of the suspect in terms of being cooperative and a lot of the time the judge/magistrate will give out reduced penalties.

Third, I've known many people who were pulled over and only given a warning. If it was entirely about revenue, warnings wouldn't exist.

The reality is we are a safer society because of the work police officers do. Just like the motorcycle stereotypes that we fight everyday isn't okay because you are basing the entire community of police based on a few bad apples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

First, if the search is unconstitutional then you fight that in court. Don't blame the officer for finding your illegal drugs. Blame yourself for your own bad decisions. If he somehow found them under violation of the 4th amendment, your attorney should win.

Secondly, they do go easier on them in court. I've seen cops testify on behalf of the suspect in terms of being cooperative and a lot of the time the judge/magistrate will give out reduced penalties.

Third, I've known many people who were pulled over and only given a warning. If it was entirely about revenue, warnings wouldn't exist.

The reality is we are a safer society because of the work police officers do. Just like the motorcycle stereotypes that we fight everyday isn't okay because you are basing the entire community of police based on a few bad apples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know we've been over this before and I don't want to get into it but I'll leave it at this.

When.I was in high school we took a class for history credits called street law. It was basically a 4th, 5th and 6th amendment class. Now in upper middle class Revere school district, we had lawyers and officers come in. They all said, be respectful but refuse all searches and keep your mouth shut.

An example being from an officer who previously worked in a high crime neighborhood: A young adult robbed a store. Officers caught a young man loosely matching the description guven by an elderly couple of a Medium built black man. In questioning, the defectives convinced the man he did not need a lawyer, and that if he wrote an appology letter to the owner of the store the judge would go a lot easier on him.

So the guy ended up writing an apology letter to the owner of the store, without a lawyer present and guess what? His apology was a signed confession. Did the young black man do it? No one ever knew, but police convinced him they had enough evidence on him that he would go to jail and the kid, a say kid because most likely he was only 18 or 19, just wanted to go home.

Derek, I know we have both grown up and spent most of our lives in an economically advantaged area, with schools with more money, than entire school systems in inner cities would even dream of having.

Maybe living on upper middle class western Summit county, being honest with the officer will get you a reduced sentence?

Maybe giving an officer a hard time will make him flip and beat your skull in?

Maybe being respectful yet firm in the belief with refusing searches and questioning will get you off, while you have enough cocaine in your trunk to go to jail for life?

I do not know.

I do know for a fact, in inner city schools, kids are not taught their constitultional rights to refuse searches and not talk to the officer.

They are taught to fear the cops. Run or shoot back, when maybe, just maybe if disadvantaged youth could learn about the 4th, 5th and 6th amendments, they would be more respectful of officers and have a powerful tool to keep them out of jail by using their heads, keeping their mouth shut even if they are guilty.

Also not even to mention how great of a job public defenders do.

Edited by zx3vfr
  • Upvote 1