Help me with internet speed/modem/router issues

chevysoldier

Okay, so I bought an Asus RT-AC87R dual band gigabyte wireless router. I have it connected to my Motorola Surfboard SGB6580 modem/wireless router combo. I have the wireless turned off on the Motorola. When I run speed tests, wireless I am getting 14.6 Mbps down and 6.2Mbps up. When I am wired I am getting 37.2 Mbps down and 5.8Mbps up. I power cycled both and am getting the exact same numbers. Now I know it is possible to get higher numbers wireless because I have gotten them before but It seems to be hit or miss. Is it my motorola modem? Are there settings I need to change? Someone help, it's annoying when streaming videos.

EDIT: When I got the 37Mbps down, I was wired to the motorola. But when I plugged into the Asus router, I got 14 again.

Edited by chevysoldier

Is there only one device connected when you do your test our are there phones and other stuff too?

Few others connected via wireless but nothing is really running. e.g. printer connected but in sleep mode, cell phones are though but not being used. Should I disconnect everything and retest?