Anyone know a Cleveland area plumber that does side jobs?

Tpoppa

Now it's looking like I might need to replace the water heater.  

The timing blows since I just paid the deposit on my new patio this morning.

I highly suggest Ron from Gasline.  Not a side job guy, but a one man company. He used to do boatloads of Gas Lights when they were all the rage, but now its gas grills and water heaters and I think furnaces. He has done two grills for me, one water heater, and multiple gas grills and heaters for other family members. He is FAST, you call him tonight and he will probably be there in the morning with a tank and have it done in no time. VERY reasonable. Great guy.

Gasline

Ron

216-905-7350

My guy's name is Steve Scherl.

His cell is 216-244-2853.  I think he's a one-man construction company, but he's licensed, bonded, and insured.  Also very friendly and communicative.  I live on the east side in Lyndhurst, and he did a job at my place, so he's at least somewhat local.  Definitely someone I'd recommend if you're still looking. 

Save the money and do the job yourself, T.  It's not hard and if you pay a buddy some beer and food to help out it shouldn't take but a few hours on a weekend.  Just need some basic tools and what you'd save on paying someone to do it you could pick up the few tools you don't have.  If your existing tank is gas it's a little cumbersome but if it's electric then it's even an easier piece of cake.

There's lots of how to's out there, just pull some up and see what it takes.

Just my opinion. :D

^^^THIS!!

The new solder-less fittings are the bomb if you have some tight spaces to work in.  You can even get shut off valves that are solder-less now also.

The SharkBite brand is by far the best I've used.  You'll pay more for these kinds of fittings but it can make doing the job a lot less painful and time consuming.

I don't mind paying someone to do it right.   The water connections aren't a concern.  It's more the fitment of the gas line, vent, and water lines.  The new heater won't have the gas connection in the exact same place, for example.    

Someone who does this often will likely do a cleaner looking install than a DIY'er.  

Edited by Tpoppa

There's always something that makes things easier to install.  They have flexible gas lines that make easy work of the gas side of the equation.  The venting is again nothing major to deal with either.

:D

water-heater-flexible-gas-connector.jpg

But I certainly do understand where you're coming from.  As someone like you at one point in time, once I got my hands dirty and did the job with someone else who knew what to do you'll never fear taking on a simple water heater task again. :D

Also, make sure that whomever does the work uses dielectric fittings on both the supply lines (in and out) on the new tank.  Yes there's debate on their use but I believe it's code and are required (don't hold me to that though :) ).

EDIT: And don't forget about shut offs above those either just in case a future need arises.

Edited by r1crusher

I would have to respectfully disagree with you, Tonik.  An expansion tank is only required if the system is closed meaning if there is a pressure reducing valve in the home usually by the main shut off.  Most water meters have a 2 way valve also which would make the system open so again, no requirement for an expansion tank.

I have been at RVT's place (in North Ridgeville) and seen his utilities I'm pretty sure Poppa would not need one.

But the point is moot since he's going to farm out the work and they will tell him the same thing.

EDIT: I'm only mentioning these things because some installers will still cut corners and not do what's needed/right.  Being an informed consumer is all I'm trying to convey to him.

Edited by r1crusher

There is a plumber that lives a couple houses down from us. He replaced our water heater last year with no problems at a reasonable price.. Glen Ailport (440) 454 4628. He doesn't do side work as he owns his own business. He seems like a pretty honest guy to me.

First off, please don't respectfully disagree with me. I prefer disrespectful disagreements.

He most probably does need one because many cities have added it to code with no mention of pressure reduction valves.

True story.

:lol:

Okay...but in the interest of keeping this going...for informational purposes...and so I can disrespect you (I kid of course)...

First, the general use of expansion tanks is already covered in the ORC so why a city would need to supersede it seems stupid.  Secondly, there is no mention of expansion tanks in the City of North Ridgeville Ordinances so I'm having a hard time getting to your point of "many cities have added it".  I even searched several other municipalities in and around N.R. and guess what...yeah...same thing.

I would be interested in knowing what cities you are referring to in your statement. :D

There is a plumber that lives a couple houses down from us. He replaced our water heater last year with no problems at a reasonable price.. Glen Ailport (440) 454 4628. He doesn't do side work as he owns his own business. He seems like a pretty honest guy to me.

There you go Poppa, a local N.R. peep with a local plumber. :D

:lol:

Okay...but in the interest of keeping this going...for informational purposes...and so I can disrespect you (I kid of course)...

First, the general use of expansion tanks is already covered in the ORC so why a city would need to supersede it seems stupid.  Secondly, there is no mention of expansion tanks in the City of North Ridgeville Ordinances so I'm having a hard time getting to your point of "many cities have added it".  I even searched several other municipalities in and around N.R. and guess what...yeah...same thing.

I would be interested in knowing what cities you are referring to in your statement. :D

Kevin you ignorant slut.  Don't really mean that, just following my own rules.

Seven Hills and Richmond Heights have those codes. My claim of many came from the impression I got from my plumber.  I THINK they do it for the same reason the often mirror many state laws, for ease of enforcement and to be able to get the fines involved into their own bank account rather than the states. Keep in mind I am not a lawyer, just an asshat.

Thanks for the options and entertainment.  I have a few good contacts.

Weirdly the tank actually stopped leaking, which I'm sure is only temporary.  But it gives me a few extra days to replace it.

And yes, I do have an expansion tank.  I may have 2 or 3 extras installed after this thread :)