Wood Shed vs. Plastic shed

Bad324

I'm curious as well.  I really want to get one to move yard stuff out of the garage for more bike space.  I am leaning plastic/vinyl to hold up better to the environment but maybe I don't know this environment very well. 

How much did that run? I'm debating between that and gravel

I was having a stamped concrete patio installed.  While they were there I had them pour a 12x10 pad for a shed.  They did it for free, but the pad would have been $6 sq/ft.

• Upvote 2

If you build the form and are willing to accept whatever the truck drivers have left in the truck, you can get a free pad.   

That said, most people's schedules don't allow for that. 

I will do something like this:

dekblok.JPG

I'd count on it costing more than a grand though... I want quite a bit of space, and a roof-line that will allow for an 'attic' so I can insulate the ceiling and walls, and make it tolerable in the winter. maybe.

all I'm thinking will be in there is yard tools, push mower, snow blower, bicycles. That's why I'm leaning towards a plastic one for now but only have experience with wood ones. Reviews look pretty decent on Suncast or Rubbermaids

My grandfather did that about a half century ago. Got an unbelievable deal on a used second tractor but didn't have space for it. So, he got a five gallon pail of used motor oil and an old paint brush and painted 'er up. Threw a tarp over it and called it good.

Edited by DAC

I have a plastic one. Nice for absolutely zero maintenance, but you can't have any shelves on the walls. It heats up enough on the inside that the plastic gets soft and screws pull out. I have some metal shelving now. Mine is an 8x10 or 12 and it fits a ton of shit in it. Mower, blower, trimmers, and all of my patio furniture in the winter. In my opinion you can't go wrong with it. And I only paid $25 for mine brand new in the box and poured my own pad for another $75$. Not a bad $100 investment.

I've got a plastic shed. Got it on a good deal about a year ago. Works great. Has metal reinforcement inside to allow for shelves to be hung from the walls. Has slots similar to closet organization. It's an 8x10 and holds a surprisingly large amount of stuff

Underground Bunker- geothermal heating- no eyesore- theft deterrent. Buy a few shovels so you don't have to dig with a dull one.

That is a good idea.  I can go take some of those railroad ties from down the way for support.  #Winning

The plastic ones to last, but they're extremely easy to break into.  You can lift or bend the door-frame and just pull the door off the hinges.  If that doesn't work for some reason, a bic lighter softens everything up in a hurry, and thieves can pull the locking mechanism right out of the door.

I'm sure you're not planning on storing anything valuable in there, but kids to stupid things.  My neighbors had a gas can stolen from their shed when I was a kid.  We found it a couple of days later ...at the bottom of another neighbor's pool. 

That is one concern I have especially because the woods behind the house make for an easy getaway but both myself and the neighbors on either side have motion lights in the back and the one lady is a total busy body so it's a bit of piece of mind. The mower and snowblower really would be the only items of value I'd keep in it likely. Just need the shit out of the 3rd bay of the garage so I can lay race deck and get a car in it :D

$699 10x8 plastic shed.  Looks okay.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/US-Leisure-Keter-Stronghold-10-ft-x-8-ft-Resin-Storage-Shed-157479/100652232

$699 10x10 wooden shed.  looks less like a toy, and sturdier, but won't last forever...  Can hang shelves.  Can insulate.  Can probably buy 2 and make it 10x20...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Handy-Home-Products-Princeton-10-ft-x-10-ft-Wood-Storage-Shed-18250-1/100350323

$650 10x14 steel shed. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Handy-Home-Products-Princeton-10-ft-x-10-ft-Wood-Storage-Shed-18250-1/100350323

seems like a nice middle-ground.  No rotting wood, no shingling, and more secure than plastic. 

I kind of want this one now that I look at it...  10x14 is a decent size.

i just got that first shed for my house in mentor.  going to be putting it up soon.  will give opinions once it's done.  looks like we'll be putting on wood base.

that 2nd wood one has an extra $250 for delivery and there are no pickup in store options.  looks nice otherwise.  comes with wood base, just need to add plywood.

third link is same link as 2nd.

if you have a home depot card, just ask the customer service lady to give you 10% off even if you dont have the coupon they mail you every few months. 

third one was supposed to be this http://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-Dakota-10-ft-x-14-ft-Steel-Shed-DK1014/100114563

$250 delivery is a joke though... you could copy the design for cheap, which is essentially what I plan to do when my shed needs replacing.

Edited by redkow97