Wood Shed vs. Plastic shed

Bad324

My 2 cents. I wouldn't pay a dime for anything t11. That crap rots quick regardless of paint. Maybe siding over t11 to match the house.

I'll beg to differ on the T1-11 siding.   I built this playhouse for the littlest Imagineer back in 2005 and the T1-11 siding, and treated plywood floor are holding up well.   Only the pine trim pieces have shown rot

house_front_zpsr7m1wpt2.jpg

The playhouse has since been converted to a potting shed for Mrs. Imagineer and I added a full size screen door to the south wall.

That said, I'll make a recommendation for going with a wood shed & build your own.     You have more options for fitting out the interior to suit your needs.    You also have more options for making it more secure.

I'll beg to differ on the T1-11 siding. I built this playhouse for the littlest Imagineer back in 2005 and the T1-11 siding, and treated plywood floor are holding up well. Only the pine trim pieces have shown rot

house_front_zpsr7m1wpt2.jpg

The playhouse has since been converted to a potting shed for Mrs. Imagineer and I added a full size screen door to the south wall.

That said, I'll make a recommendation for going with a wood shed & build your own. You have more options for fitting out the interior to suit your needs. You also have more options for making it more secure.

No rot starting on the lower ends near the grass of the t1-11? Did you paint the ends of the boards maybe? Edited by Gump

how much lumber was tied up in that playhouse?  I can usually get access to reclaimed 2x4's from a friend of mine who i help out with construction demolition.  That would put a nice dent in my costs...

I also like the height of your design.  That would allow a finished ceiling, and a useful attic space, accessible via ladder (i'm thinking I would store skis and lumber scraps up there mostly, but lawn chairs and other stuff would probably fit too). 

Additional height means I could build an awning area off the side as well... 

I have way more ideas than funds.

No rot starting on the lower ends near the grass of the t1-11? Did you paint the ends of the boards maybe?

Followed the advise of Norm Abrams on "This Old House"...

1. Purposely bought T1-11 siding that had been stored outside (84 Lumber) so it was 'seasoned'     New siding has a natural wax that although helps prevent rot, will also prevent paint or preservative from soaking in.   

2. Primed using Zinsser123 oil based primer, tinted to match the top coat color.

3, Top coated with Sherwin Williams "Superpaint" (I hate painting so I figured I'd buy the best paint available and hope it lasted); and yes, paid attention to be sure to seal the cut ends of the siding.

According to Norm, if you're building with new T1-11 siding, after you are done with construction, soak it with Thompsons Watersealer and let it dry for at least 2 weeks, then topcoat or stain, (or hit it with another round of Thompsons).

FWIW, I've repainted the white trim 3 times since '05 but only repainted the siding once, last spring.     The only purchased items on that playhouse were the double hung windows.   Everything else (door, trim, flower boxes, loft, ladder) I made by hand.

house_nw_zps2s8xu5id.jpg

how much lumber was tied up in that playhouse?

I set a budget of $1000 and ended up spending around $1600 (typical estimate error for my projects).    I'm not a carpenter or a builder (and it's a miracle I've still got 9.7  fingers), but I can make AutoCAD drawings of anything, so I was able to develop drawings to follow.

The porch floor and roof are bolted to the main house such that it would be easier to move if needed.

Edited by imagineer

i just got that first shed for my house in mentor.  going to be putting it up soon.  will give opinions once it's done.  looks like we'll be putting on wood base.

Awesome definitely will be interested to hear. I want to put mine in the back corner of my yard where it's mostly flat already and just want to level with gravel and drop it on it. From everything I can tell I'm definitely leaning towards this one or possibly a Suncast or Rubbermaid however those in my range aren't quite the size of this one

i bought the us leisure one because it had great reviews for the most part, price is good (700 right now, mentor home depot had 3 in stock at the time so no shipping) and i wanted a plastic one since my old metal shed rotted out and caved in.  granted, that "shitty" metal shed lasted a good 15 years, so I can't complain much.

originally wanted to do gravel, but don't have experience with that.  i know how to nail some wood together though, so going with wood base.

I've got the US leisure. Bought it about 6months ago for 329. It's on a concrete pad and it has worked awesome for me. No leaks at all, was about 4 hours to put up with two people. The door latch is nothing sturdy, but it'll keep the honest thief out. I can only give it positive reviews. Any questions just ask.

• 10 months later...

wife bit on the bigger shed idea I floated earlier today. 

Went to Home Depot to price lumber, because she asked "how much?"

i can frame the walls and roof for under $400

the big question now is concrete pad, or sunk posts, and build a treated wood platform?

i know the pad will be better, but a 12x20 pad also won't be cheap...  I will definitely get estimates, but I'm also going to price out a raised deck built on 2x12's with treated wood. 

The advantages to that design are:

- no grinding the stump for the tree that has to come down

- cheaper(?)

- DIY versus dealing with a concrete contractor.

- easy to make level  

- I can screw things into the floor when I'm done

talk me into a concrete pad?

biggest disadvantage I can think of for the raised deck is that animals will definitely make homes under it, and drive my dogs crazy  

• 3 weeks later...