Steel Buildings

Jester_

Anyone have any supplier they would recommend for a steel building? Also has anyone built one themselves, and was it worth the cost savings to do so?

Looking to put up a 40x60 with concrete thick enough for a car lift on one section of it and doors tall enough to fit a 5th wheel camper. 

I looked at this steel vs. wood 40x60 in depth before and came to the conclusion that steel would cost me the same for wood and yet I'd have to build the steel myself and the concrete pads for steel is more expensive and involved.

Watch out for those steel guys, they're sharks.

I looked at this steel vs. wood 40x60 in depth before and came to the conclusion that steel would cost me the same for wood and yet I'd have to build the steel myself and the concrete pads for steel is more expensive and involved.

Watch out for those steel guys, they're sharks.

Interesting, so you are saying a normal construction garage would cost the same as a steel building?

Interesting, so you are saying a normal construction garage would cost the same as a steel building?

A lot Less, if you value your time. thats with a contractor building it. You don't lift a finger. I'll post up some quotes, if I can find them, comparing the two types.

Everyone should be freind their neighborhood Amish man ;)

My Amish contractor/friend was the same price as a non-Amish builder called pole barns direct. Funny that the pole barns direct company brokers out their jobs to Amish crews. Go figure.

Edited by Gump

The two contractor quotes are this year. The building is 16' tall to accommodate 14' tall garage doors. The steel, besides assembling yourself and needing to pour precise concrete pads, the kit is bare bones, you then need to install boards inside to hang things et cetera. On wood you also want 3ply columns and not just treated posts when going 16' or they twist. Post protectors are important also. They do not need to be the full length of the underground post only the first 16". I don't know crap about construction and there are a ton of other little things the contractor can leave out or skimp on if you do not research it. Like overhangs, cheap skirtboards, gutters, grade gaurds, vapor barriers, et cetera.

My thought was, turn key with concrete for around $35,000 for a 40x60(64)x16. $30,000 if I source my own garage doors.

post-9795-0-36682800-1445015600_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-41515800-1445015601_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-18232600-1445015603_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-00660300-1445015605_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-16922900-1445015606_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-18735200-1445015607_thumb.jp