FN57 - Thoughts, opinions, other options?

Tomcat0403

Always liked the idea of the FN57 and was able to shoot one yesterday.  It exceeded my expectations and while it was very light, felt high quality.  The shop not only had one for rent, but also has one for sale and I am thinking of making the purchase. 

This would be more of a Bug Out weapon and would probably take place of buying an AR for the foreseeable future.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions, etc are welcome.

First let me say FN makes some of the finest weapons around.  My home defense weapon is the FNX 45, it is a dream to shoot.  My small framed wife who did not have much shooting experience prior to this weapon can shoot the hell out it and she enjoys shooting it.  My kids 308 is one of the finest weapons I have ever shot. I intend to try their compact 9 for carry soon.

The FN57 is not a practical gun for anything, including the fantasy Bug Out scenario. The safety is in a retarded spot making it questionable that you could get it off in time in a life or death situation. Grip is way too big, ammo costs a small fortune bringing into question that you will shoot it enough to stay proficient in it.

EDIT: It does have a cool factor, it is good at that.  Peeps will go ooooohhhahhhhh at the range. So if this is more a purchase to make you smile and grin, it is certainly great at that. And there is nothing wrong with having cool guns.

Edited by Tonik

$19.99 for a box of 50 rds yesterday as far as ammo goes.  Relatively similar to .40 last time I bought it and that was a major concern until the price drop.  I know it will not last long (well who actually knows).  Safety is in a odd spot for sure, but muscle memory is easy for me in most cases.

You bring up a lot of good points any suggestions as to a different purchase?

Keep in mind, this may be the only time i am cleared to make a purchase from the boss.  A $600-700 AR is an easier sell down the road lol.

EDIT:  fyi current safe is SKS, M&P shield .40, XDM .40, Remington 870 short barrel.

Edited by Tomcat0403

I agree with Tonik(God, that puts a bad taste in my mouth to say that), the FN57 is cool, but a terrible "bug out" choice. Also, what really makes the FN57 special is it's armor piercing ammo, and that is $$$.

For a "bug out" weapon, you want readily available ammunition. 9mm, .40, .45, 12 gauge, .22, stuff like that.

Coolness factory, yup, it's got that.

• Upvote 2

I got two ideas. The Kel-Tec PMR-30, it's only a 22 but with 30 of them who cares.  Going in the other direction the S&W 460.  Six rounds of instant death, will also shoot the 45 longs. Plus it makes your dick grow at least two inches.

Neither is practical but fit the Bug Out bag scenario.

If you want practical then I go back to my FNX 45. 15 +1. I believe there are extended mags for it. Ambidextrous safety. Decocker so you can fire the first round DA then go SA. It really is an all around hand cannon.

you liked shooting it, and you've rationalized the cost of ammo.  Go for it.

I like to shoot cheap and limit myself to common cartridges (9mm, .22lr, and soon, 12 gauge) - but if you're not bound by that self-imposed restraint, buy it.  You can always sell it.

I made a list of all the guns I WANT, and all the guns I can actually rationalize purchasing - both lists were longer than I would have expected...

want a cool gun?

MK23 or its little bro the USP 45 Tactical. actually, any of the USP or HK series tacticals are "kewl" guns. Never shot the FN's, but hear lots of good things. btw, MK23 is fucking ginormous, so unless you have enormous pterodactyl wings for hands, forget it.

My first gun was a P99 AS. The newer version is supposed to be even better. Also a very "cool" gun (apparently, it has been used in quite a few movies) and very ergonomically designed. One of the nicest shooters, and for a time, was one of the most underrated. People know better nowadays.

A nice 1911 is ALWAYS nice to have. I love my Les Baer. Had a sig GSR (before they switched names), and it was pretty good. Shot a kimber (fairly basic model). it was ok, but that was a while ago. Could be much better or much worse now.

there are others, but these are somewhat in a normal humans price range.

The terminal ballistics of 5.7 and .22 winmag are close enough that personally I would go for the pmr30 even tho it looks like the original Nintendo duck hunt gun. The five seven is cool as shit but for the buck you don't get that much bang.

I have been flip flopping all day about this.  You all bring up some solid points.

Now...any must have 16" AR platforms that you all would recommend from 700-1350 price range?  The S&W M&P 15T model caught my eye.  It pretty much has all of the features I want out of the box.  

No fixed front sight, free float quad rail, adj stock, flip sights (i have an optic already)

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/3-0134906

Ask Kawi Kid about fn build quality. He had a 5.7 fail at one of his classes. I'm sure keltec fails are easy to find also. I don't see the point of the 5.7 round though. It's a odd round that is only used by fn that I know of. I am in the camp of not adding to many calibers to the mix, or ones not readily available.

Played with a fn57 at a gun store. Not impressed. Seemed like cheap plastic and the trigger action was gritty. Always thought it was a very interesting gun and wanted one , till I picked it up.

Edited by Gump

The keltec is half the price of the fn an ammo can be found everywhere. An it holds 10 more rounds. I have been wanting the pmr since it came out.

damn you for making me look this up...

I like most of the stuff Kel-Tec makes.   I realize that they're not making the highest quality firearm, and that to some extent, they are "disposable," but for what I paid for my PF9, I don't have any complaints.   I may pick up their 9mm carbine if i can talk myself out of the Hi-Point carbine.   /threadjack

I'd like to have one, but...

"the Five-SeveN is the handgun equivalent of the world’s most fire-proof paper hat"

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/08/robert-farago/gun-review-fn-five-seven/

bug-out / survival should be something that uses very very common ammo, and preferably something that in the long term event can be easily reloaded with a mini press out in the field.

I'd like to have one, but...

bug-out / survival should be something that uses very very common ammo, and preferably something that in the long term event can be easily reloaded with a mini press out in the field.

Yeah, I was really trying to justify a use for it.  Now if the AP ammo was available for purchase I would buy for sure.  Until the day i can start collecting to have something fun to shoot, I should spend the money on an AR.  As soon as my stuff clears with Buds, going to buy the M&P15T.

Thanks for all of the responses, you all definitely helped out.