60's or 70's Remington bolt-action 22?

redkow97

My dad just texted me and said my mom's dad said I can have his old 22 rifle.

All he knows is that it's a Remington bolt-action 22. I am guessing 60's or 70's because it belongs to my grandpa.

Anyone know what model it's likely to be?

Shit! I was way off. It's a model 341, made from 1936-1940.

Tube-fed and will fire 22 short, 22 long, or 22lr. If only it could handle 22 magnums. Still, for free, it seems pretty sweet - and this is the closest thing I have to an heirloom.

Pretty sure that's a fairly rare gun. If it's in good condition, value could be $400 or higher.

Take good care of it !

In perfect shape, I saw it for $450. I also found a guy selling one for $250 though.

I couldn't sell it. My only real concern now is that the old ammo that went through it may have corroded some things. We'll see. I will ask the firearms expert at our crime lab to inspect and test fire it off the clock some day soon.

• 6 months later...

Not really old arms knowledgeable, but it's a .22 so if the breach and barrel look solid and unobstructed, I'd just oil it good, work the action several times, load up the magazine tube and fire it?:dunno:

the action is well-oiled and smooth.  Beautiful gun. I wish it had the original peep sight, and not the cheap scope currently mounted...  IMHO, optics aren't are just one more thing to break or go out of calibration, etc.  At least on something like a bolt 22...

Trigger are known to go bad and are hard to find, otherwise great shooting firearm.  My father has a bolt action Remington from the same error.  Can't even begin to imagine how many rounds and varmints the gun has eaten!  Was the firearm I learned to shoot with.

Do not dry fire and keep it clean and the trigger and firing pin will be fine.