Bearing install

Soren

Today I swapped out the old wheel bearings in my bike for new sealed bearings by "all balls racing." the installation seemed to go flawlessly. When I put my rear rim on the tire balancer a slight push sent it spinning for several minutes. BUT there is a slight clicking when it finally slows down. 

My buddy who was also at the shop said he thought it must be an air pocket in the bearing grease or something of that nature because if the bearing was busted it wouldnt spin so freely and youd be able to feel it by placing your hand on the tire balancing shaft, which i could not. I generally take his word on things, he is pretty knowledgeble but I figured I see if anyone on here could confirm that theory. If not then I guess i better buy another set of inner for the rear. 

New sealed bearings generally do not make noise. I guess the air pocket is plausible. I'd suggest spooling them up to melt the grease a little and get it spread evenly around the bearing. If you can't feel it through the balance shaft I'd say it rules out a flat spot.

I did. I filed 1-2 mm off the out side of the outer race of the old bearings then tapped those with a hammer to drive the new bearings in. From what I read online it was the next best thing to having a socket that was the same circumference as the outer race.