What small-mid-sized SUV fits 2 car seats WELL?

redkow97

Buy my Suby. 2012 Outback. 126,000 miles. Factory Dvd's in the headrests for the kids. 3.6r limited or premium don't remember. Moon roof, backup video, remote start, factory hitch and all that other stuff minus navigation. $13,500.00

Well, I won the argument!   ...but we're still not getting a minivan.

I got the wife to admit that a minivan is the best option, and fulfills more of our needs better than the SUV she wants, but she ultimately trumped me with "I'm not paying $20,000+ for a car I'm not excited about."

And I get that.  For the same reason people buy a Panigale as a street bike instead of the VFR (or Monster - whatever) that would suit the task better.  She wants what she wants, and she wants to look less lame on a daily basis.  She knows it's a shallow and  mildly irresponsible stance to take, but hearing her acknowledge it at least lets me know she's just a little vain, and not oblivious to the reality of things. 

So we're buying a 2013-2016 Kia Sorento or Hyundai  Sante Fe.  Both score excellent in safety, and they can be found with low mileage and lots of options for under $25k.  The major change in that age range was a shift from the 3.5 V6 to a 3.3 V6 that makes 15 more horsepower, and gets better economy.  We're ONLY looking at V6 models, and almost definitely AWD (or we may as well have gotten the minivan!).  Wife doesn't care about AWD, but it's just standard on most of the used examples we're looking at, due to the trim level I want.

Towing capacity (for either engine) is 3,500 lbs, which means a 6x12 wouldn't be out of the question some day.   I figure 1,000 lbs for the trailer, and 2,000 lbs of cargo - but that's a ways off.  We may not even keep this vehicle long enough for that to come into play.

stay tuned for pics next week(?)

Wife just got a brand new 2015 Acadia  2nd trim level up. 26k out the door.

Had a few options including rare captions chairs in the second row for not being an upper trim level. Really nice for the 2 seats and plenty of room in the 3rd row for other people. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, zx3vfr said:

Wife just got a brand new 2015 Acadia  2nd trim level up. 26k out the door.

Had a few options including rare captions chairs in the second row for not being an upper trim level. Really nice for the 2 seats and plenty of room in the 3rd row for other people. 

love those. Almost got one last fall instead of the Terrain but we didn't think we needed something that big which obviously was before we found out about the twins

After deciding on the 2013-2015 Sorento, we ended up buying the 2016 model, lol.

Inventory turn-over prevented us from driving the 2014 "EX" model with AWD and leather.  We did drive an (almost) identically equipped 2015 example with pretty much every option except AWD and no third-row seat.  Both of those were features I wanted...

So we looked at (and ended up buying) a 2016 "LX" model without leather seats (smaller touch-screen, manual seat adjustment instead of electric, no blind-spot detection - you get the idea).  But the reasons we bought it were:  21,000 miles on the clock (10-20k fewer than the other examples we had looked at), AWD, 3.3 liter V6 (290hp!), and third-row seats.

I sat in the third row, and i'm pushing 6' tall.  It's really not uncomfortable, even with the second row slid all the way back.  that said, we'll almost never use the third-row, except when it's us and 2 other couples looking to take 1 car out instead of 2... 

After a week of ownership, I am thoroughly impressed with this vehicle.  Road noise is nonexistent.  It pulls damn hard for being a mid-sized SUV (0-60 in 7.5 or less), and will tow 5,000 lbs.  If you're not flooring it or towing, it gets 25 mpg in mixed driving thus far.  Not bad for a 7-passenger AWD grocery getter.   I wish I got to drive it more often!

Edited by redkow97
  • Upvote 1

On 6/2/2016 at 4:29 PM, JustinNck1 said:

My buddy's mom had a new Odyssey. He drove it while is car was broke down. I'd say it is the nicest van I've seen. Heck it has a built in cooler.

• The Cool Box is not a refrigerator or cooler. It does not cool down warm drinks.

• Do not use ice.

• Do not store perishable items inside for an extended amount of time.

• Keep the box closed for best results.

• The box cannot be removed for cleaning

my 04 Aztec had a built in removeable cooler